Polish Posters

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

If coarse fish can't be taken, would the same apply to trout? If not, why not?

hi john, this is the bit that nobody could answer last time.(i put the question last time!) :lol:

Guest Brumagem Phil
The comparison is obvious, never before has handling fish been better, i am talking specimen angling here, but the match scene is also far better in this regard than in the past.

So to suggest that to kill the fish as oppose to weighing and photographing and returning the fish unharmed, is somewhat better is frankly silly. Another point to ponder for you, just what is the attraction in eating any coarse fish from our rivers? OK Sportsman enjoys clean lakes up there and the occasional perch for the table But I cannot imagine any waters that I would be happy to eat the fish.

But thats not the real point ,the message is conservation of our dwindling stocks, it would be madness to eat the very source of what supplies us anglers so much pleasure. If you really still think that taking the odd fish for the pot is a good idea, pop over to Poland and see the results of many years of fishing for food has done to their stocks..

Fish handling is far from good. Pop to your local match pool and check out the condition of the carp there. I rarely fish places like this now as it grieves me to view fish with half their mouths missing.

Dwindling stocks??? I've only been fishing a few years, but IMO the rivers are rammed with fish. Not heard anyone complain about how few fish are in our waterways.

Polands fish stocks are low because its normal for the whole population to go and fish for food, that scenario just wouldnt happen in the UK.

Who said Polish fish stocks are low ?

http://polishpoland.com/fish.htm

I suppose the carp recipes might be a bit out of order though :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The comparison is obvious, never before has handling fish been better, i am talking specimen angling here, but the match scene is also far better in this regard than in the past.

So to suggest that to kill the fish as oppose to weighing and photographing and returning the fish unharmed, is somewhat better is frankly silly. Another point to ponder for you, just what is the attraction in eating any coarse fish from our rivers? OK Sportsman enjoys clean lakes up there and the occasional perch for the table But I cannot imagine any waters that I would be happy to eat the fish.

But thats not the real point ,the message is conservation of our dwindling stocks, it would be madness to eat the very source of what supplies us anglers so much pleasure. If you really still think that taking the odd fish for the pot is a good idea, pop over to Poland and see the results of many years of fishing for food has done to their stocks..

To suggest that you kill the fish instead of weighing and taking a photo, is silly. Well it would have been if that's what I had suggested.

All I say is that some coarse fish make good eating, and if an angler catches one by legal means, and it's permitted by who ever governs the water, then why shouldn't he take one now and again?

You say you wouldn't be happy taking and eating any fish from waters you know, that's fine, it's not compulsory. But again that is your personal choice, and I wouldn't deprive you of that.

What dwindling stocks are you on about? It's not on any of the waters I know of, in fact the only shortage I see is in fry survival rate, and that doesn't seem to bother many people. But they are too small for a PB, so maybe they don't count.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

... pop over to Poland and see the results of many years of fishing for food has done to their stocks..
Have you done any research into the Polish angling scene? It does not look as if it is in its death throes to me.

http://www.rybieoko.pl/news_gb/media/fotki

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

mmm, interesting.

Rabbit makes a valid point in that a blanket ban would mitigate the confusion and uncertainty of regional byelaws.

I can also see some elements of validity into the anti taking fish for pot ban posts, although Im unsure what implications there are for predator fishermen (aside from taking fish for live and dead baits)?

At the end of the day, there should be atleast some law that unifies the regional variance but wether this would or should entail a ban on taking fish for the pot is a big question. Wouldnt it be far easier to just stop allowing people in the country who take it on their own authority to eat our fish? (am I going to be labelled a racist again?)

Oh and Kleinboet - I may just be stupid? but i dont fully understand the point of your reply on the what is angling thread, Im well aware that anglers put fish back asap etc but that has nothing to do with my question.

Wouldnt it be far easier to just stop allowing people in the country who take it on their own authority to eat our fish?

what a load of garbage.what about the brits that have taken a perch or two?or a zander.(by far the best tasting freshwater fish)

what are you going to do?deport them?

what a load of garbage.what about the brits that have taken a perch or two?or a zander.(by far the best tasting freshwater fish)

what are you going to do?deport them?

well no, thats not the point is it? I dont think that there are many brits out there that take for the pot, or even eat freshwater fish (aside from trout and eel loving cockneys).

No it wouldn't clean up the image of angling. What would clean up the image of angling is for anglers to stop angling and catching the poor little fish.

Many antis see catch and release as worse than catch and kill for the table. In their eyes catch and kill for the table at least has some point to it, other than just tormenting and injuring the fish for pleasure.

What is the mortality rate from using keep nets / match fishing / poor fish handling / fishing in general. How does it compare with the number of fish taken for the pot?

If you are going to start reviewing and banning anything that you don't agree with the banning angling altogether wouldn't be far behind.

Yes, well said. It's not enough to say "but we put the fish back". The antis think this is worse than bopping fish on head. So be warned! They would be happier if there were no fish for us to catch.

I looked at that link with the byelaws. 12 pages of Salmon and trout information (South West England). Couldn't see any mention of other fish. :wallbash:

I have never been one to jump around saying "THE POLES ARE EATING ALL OUR FISH!!!" but the problem we have at the moment is that the local byelaws seem so complicated that no one seems to know what the law is. If there was to be more universal rules on the taking of coarse fish then I think it would be for the better.

But, like others have said, this in itself could be a potential minefield.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.