Launching

chapman

I finally got round to taking my first trip out in my kayak last week, it was as good as I'd hoped it would be.

I was able to search for bass coming in on the tide and after tracking some down caught two on a blue and white bucktail/arctic fox fly. It was good, even a one pound bass could turn the kayak, an amazing sensation and totally addictive.

The obvious thing to do is to get out asap but now I'm back to south wales instead of west wales and the tide goes out a lot further here leaving a lot of rock, pebbles and boulders to negotiate at low tides.

As I can't always get my trips to coincide with high water I wondered what the launching options are in these circumstances as dragging the yak over a few hundred yards of rough terrain doesn't seem like a goood idea for me or the yak. Any tips or advice please.

I finally got round to taking my first trip out in my kayak last week, it was as good as I'd hoped it would be.

I was able to search for bass coming in on the tide and after tracking some down caught two on a blue and white bucktail/arctic fox fly. It was good, even a one pound bass could turn the kayak, an amazing sensation and totally addictive.

The obvious thing to do is to get out asap but now I'm back to south wales instead of west wales and the tide goes out a lot further here leaving a lot of rock, pebbles and boulders to negotiate at low tides.

As I can't always get my trips to coincide with high water I wondered what the launching options are in these circumstances as dragging the yak over a few hundred yards of rough terrain doesn't seem like a goood idea for me or the yak. Any tips or advice please.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, I don't know what trolly you have but if you replace the original wheels with larger ones they are easier to drag over sand and pebbles.

Bb

A C-tug won't deal with what he describes!! I have one and they are brilliant - the only option is to launch on a more friendly location and paddle round.

Stones the size of a melon you can just about deal with, proper broken stony ground is just a nightmare. Find a small spot somewhere round the corner and paddle in to the stony beach from seaward - then you have to paddle back round again to your car - a paddle in of 2 miles or so isn't out of the ordinary, and 5 miles is necessary to some marks - especially so as to not give them away - a car parked is like sticking a flag on a mark!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks for the replies, it seems that I'll be paddling a little further than I anticipated orignally if a romp over the rocks can't be eased somehow.

I'm based in Cardiff - currently the capital of muddy waters - and hope that some clearer water will arrive around Porthcawl one day to let the bass see what I want to offer them.

I guess I'll be launching at the end of the Og and dragging the canoe through the shallows at low tides until I can hir a tractor!

If your looking at launching in the Porthcawl area , launch from Newton fish it from low water up.

If your not comfortable with anchoring in fast tides drop in behind the point.

Its good for Conger and Cod through the winter, if your looking for bass on lures you need to go west Swansea onwards much better water clarity, its worth the drive.

Granted a C tug wont get over melon size boulders but its the best trolley out there at the moment and it has no problems with patches of rock and large pebbles.

Hope this helps Chris

That's very helpful, thank you Chris.

I've fished the estuary at Ogmore with the fly a few times this year (land based) but the water clarity has changed for the worse recently so perhaps driving a few more miles down the M4 is the solution. Either that or bait fishing , having said that I would particularly like a large bass on the fly from a yak.

Had hoped to avoid buying a trolley but it seems that I'll be heading that way too - yet more kit but hey!that seems to be the way with kayaking, the kayak itself is just a small part of the cost.

ogmore_jul_07.jpg

A challenging evening at Ogmore