Catch and release, why not?

Sheepy

The other weekend i had a top weekend fishing in Derbyshire on some small clear lakes. The day tickets were cheap and the fish cracking sport. Also i got a new pb at 5lb, which as a seldom fly fisherman i was very happy with. I only took one fish for the pot returning all others as the place had a catch and release policy. However looking for similar places to fish around Leicestershire i find that a lot places do not alow catch and release and have a fixed bag and statements such as all fish of a legal size must be knocked on the head. Add to this the fact that they charge a lot for this privalige in a lot of cases it would be cheaper to travel camp and include the petrol than fish localy. Besides i dont eat trout very often and dont want to kill a fish just because of fishery rules. So is there any reason for not practicing catch and release?

Bit of a ramble there, sorry.

Sheepy.

The other weekend i had a top weekend fishing in Derbyshire on some small clear lakes. The day tickets were cheap and the fish cracking sport. Also i got a new pb at 5lb, which as a seldom fly fisherman i was very happy with. I only took one fish for the pot returning all others as the place had a catch and release policy. However looking for similar places to fish around Leicestershire i find that a lot places do not alow catch and release and have a fixed bag and statements such as all fish of a legal size must be knocked on the head. Add to this the fact that they charge a lot for this privalige in a lot of cases it would be cheaper to travel camp and include the petrol than fish localy. Besides i dont eat trout very often and dont want to kill a fish just because of fishery rules. So is there any reason for not practicing catch and release?

Bit of a ramble there, sorry.

Sheepy.

as an opening Gambit I agree with catch and release,But only if conducted in the correct mannor something that seldom happens and is rarely if ever taught,one of the first thing a course fisherman teaches a novice angler is the correct handling and treatment of landed fish.we dont seem to be as conciencious have seen many unhooked trout floping about after been scooped out in a net on the bank handelled with dry hands photograped and then let go only to go belly up within seconds,also the warm weather in the south of the country makes summer a bit of a grim time if you are a rainbow trout and the stress of being caught can be enough to put your lights out for good , bloated dead fish floating around your fishery looks awfull so a lot of fishery owners prefer to see the fish tapped on the head,I think stocked trout taste dreadfull unless they have been in for a while and preferably over winterd so I also release 90% of what I catch I think C&R is the future of stocked trout fishing but the fisherys need to spend time on educating the anglers as to the best way to practice C&R and also insisst on Barbless hooks! I allso know of hard core trout fisherman that think C&R in its self is cruel .

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I agree with just about everything that FB has said.

Having said that, I don't agree about the poor fish handling on properly run C&R trout fisheries.

With regard to most handling issues relating to coarse fish i can only judge by what I see on TV, and that to be honest would get me banned on my local trout fishery. I don't understand the total preoccupation with weights and photographs. A few weeks ago I caught a new PB trout. It was around 14lbs but I don't know exactly because weighing it would have meant taking it out of the water. I don't have a photograph for the same reason, but why would I need one? I have the memory :)

I have no desire to eat stocked trout so I only fish waters where C&R is practiced, and I release all of the stocked trout I catch, as do almost all of the anglers on my favourite fishery. The level of fish handling is excellent.

If you don't want to kill your fish then support catch and release fisheries, and tell the owners who want you to kill your fish why you won't fish there.

:clap2: Hey, that was my 2000th post :clap2:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Not too many c/r fisheries down here in the south.Personally i don't see a problem with them,provided the fish are returned carefully.Certainly in the midlands there are plenty of places that allow it,seemingly without too many problems.

Could it be that it's not economical!!!!!.After all,if say you are paying £35 odd for four fish and you catch them quickly,then you either buy another ticket or go home,think most of the fisheries hope you buy another.

I think thats the kicker. It makes more money if the fishery intensivly rears stock fish to chuck in their waters and then charge a premium for folks to knock them on the head (they taste awful too so why do it?). Fish handling will always be an issue but people can learn. All of the fish we returned swam off happily after being held in the water and gently moved to get the water flowing over their gills, only letting go when they had enough strength to swim off under their own steam. Guess another factor that helped was that each pond had a source of running water entering it helping oxygen levels. Some of the places you see are no more than a muddy puddle and very unsuitable for trout.

I think thats the kicker. It makes more money if the fishery intensivly rears stock fish to chuck in their waters and then charge a premium for folks to knock them on the head (they taste awful too so why do it?). Fish handling will always be an issue but people can learn. All of the fish we returned swam off happily after being held in the water and gently moved to get the water flowing over their gills, only letting go when they had enough strength to swim off under their own steam. Guess another factor that helped was that each pond had a source of running water entering it helping oxygen levels. Some of the places you see are no more than a muddy puddle and very unsuitable for trout.

In my opinion they should not leave the water if they are up for return, a barbless hook makes all the diference. A lot of put and takes will not sell you a second ticket ( a lot not all ) ive seen many a stony face angler bag up and leave in 45 min.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

For those that fish on fisheries that don't allow C&R, why not fish barbless, slacken off in the last minutes and let the hook drop out?. If it's not in the net it's not caught. I fish C&R, and rarely handle the fish. If using a single fly you can use the tip ring to push the hook out just like a disgorger with no stress to the fish or handling.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

For those that fish on fisheries that don't allow C&R, why not fish barbless, slacken off in the last minutes and let the hook drop out?. If it's not in the net it's not caught. I fish C&R, and rarely handle the fish. If using a single fly you can use the tip ring to push the hook out just like a disgorger with no stress to the fish or handling.

shame on you Mr Long sir :schmoll: Is that not unethical :lol: :lol: :headhurt:

And they say the Irish are daft ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote