hows tywyn fishing?

tomcat

I'm in Aberdyfi for 2 weeks commencing 17th august & will hopefully be getting out on the reef at Tywyn a few times.

Anyone know how its been fishing recently for mackerel, tope, bream & bass.

I had a fantastic week there early june but have not fished it since.

Also if anyone is in the area during those weeks & wants to meet up for a trip out then let me know.

Thanks.

Tomcat

With the weather we've been having for the past couple of months Geoff, I havn't been up or heard from anyone who has, Maybe Snakey and his crew can tell us what's happening.

Been pondering going this week though and having a try.

Stu. :)

Haven't been up there for a couple of weeks myself but we're off there tomorrow (although we'll be at a campsite at llwyngwril instead of our usual haunt) so we'll be fishing that stretch of the shore and up to the reef that way(we normally fish from tywyn up to and onto the reef but we having a bash at a bit of unchartered territory for us this time). I'll let you know how we got on when we get back.Local gossip says the bass are fishing well at the moment and theres been a lot of smaller mackies about as well(when we were there in july there were a lot of big mackies about very tasty on the barbie they were).

Can't tell you how the tope are doing unfortunately. we did have some bream in mid july as well that was off the front on the drift.

Edited by snakey1

weather looks ok for today & sat & showers on sunday but wind and swell heights are due to pick up dramatically next week according to magic seaweed. still have to take rough with smooth sometimes as long as it isn't too rough that is.

Edited by snakey1

Me and captain fishyfinger got back sunday afternoon from an interesting weekend in llwyngwril,we arrived saturday evening at the campsite at about 20.30 and set up the tent then went and checked out the facilities(basic) and beach(rocky but has a landing area maintained by the site owner for the boats of the caravan owners and campers on site) as it was getting dark at this point we decided to finish the night by checking out the local pub as well(interestingly a picture on the wall of the pub showed that the uk record shore caught monkfish had been caught there it weighed just over 52lb).Saturday started well with an easy launch off the sandy landing/launching spot into low swells and a light wind and we were soon into the fish, mackerel in plentiful amounts followed by a half a dozen or so gurnard of varying sizes form about 1lb down to a micro gurnard about an inch and half long, I then landed a small codling of about 1.5lb and CFF was getting into his stride with a selection of dogfish and bream.

After a couple of hours of this i chucked a small mackerel out on a tope trace just on the off chance something interesting might be out there and then went back to chasing the bream as well, i had had the mackerel out for about 3/4 of a hour when CFF who was fishing about 60 yards from me yelled at me to gain my attention as i looked up i notice his yak seemed to be moving sideways so i hauled up my gear and paddled over to see what was going on,it turns out CFF had hooked a tope! however he hadn't actually been trying and the tope had taken one of his normal baits and buggered off with it, he managed to keep the fish on for a couple of minutes with it coming to the surface on several occasions before it finally had enough and broke off the hook snood(35lb mono) and cleared off (didn't get any photos unfortunately but it looked a nice size fish). I put my mackerel back out again and CFF re rigged this time with a tope trace and a decent piece of bait (the tope had taken a small piece of mackeral on a 2/0 hook) and cast out again but unfortunately we had no more luck so after trying for another couple of hours we came back in for a break and something to eat. We then went out again at about 1800 but the wind had picked up and so had the swell(we were drifting quite quickly, about 2.5 - 3.5 km/h towards fairbourne and we were disappearing from each others view behind the swells) so after fishing for a couple of hours we decide to head back in and call it a day( we had some more mackerel, bream, and CFF had a couple of small flatfish), and just as we landed it started to rain.

Overnight the rain continued and the wind picked up even more so sunday we decide to pack the gear away and drive down round the corner to tywyn to see some friends.All in all it was an interesting new venue for us that looked to hold plenty of potential(apparently it is a good area for bass and i had seen white bait "boiling" at the surface on a couple of occasions but unfortunately hadn't taken the spinning gear out with me).

post-9152-1187031547_thumb.jpg one of the gurnard caught

post-9152-1187031572_thumb.jpg the landing launching area and camp/caravan site

Edited by snakey1