clever pike

dapper64

Iwent fishing on the river last night and after about an hour with a swim feeder I decided to move to a different peg so I reeled the feeder in ,I had my polaroids on and noticed just my left in about 2 feet of water was a pike of what looked to be about 12 lb it was just laid there on the bottom,this can only have been3 feet from my feeder each time I reeled it in .I don't know how long it had been there as I had been concentrating on my quivertip all the time ,when I tried to get a better look it just swam off effortlessly,I could'nt help thinking it knew I was there and was just waiting for me to catch something so it could grab it .Iknow pike do occasionaly take peoples catch but I always thought this was more on the spur of the moment ,has this happened to any of you or do you think it was just a coincidence ?Its very erie thinking a pike could be stalking stalking you.

Guest tigger
Iwent fishing on the river last night and after about an hour with a swim feeder I decided to move to a different peg so I reeled the feeder in ,I had my polaroids on and noticed just my left in about 2 feet of water was a pike of what looked to be about 12 lb it was just laid there on the bottom,this can only have been3 feet from my feeder each time I reeled it in .I don't know how long it had been there as I had been concentrating on my quivertip all the time ,when I tried to get a better look it just swam off effortlessly,I could'nt help thinking it knew I was there and was just waiting for me to catch something so it could grab it .Iknow pike do occasionaly take peoples catch but I always thought this was more on the spur of the moment ,has this happened to any of you or do you think it was just a coincidence ?Its very erie thinking a pike could be stalking stalking you.

I've had Pike trying to get fish in a keep net but in your case I reckon it was just a coincidence.

I've had Pike trying to get fish in a keep net but in your case I reckon it was just a coincidence.

I don't know about that, I've seen chub in my swim when I've been eating cheese sandwiches. :unsure:;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Brumagem Phil
I don't know about that, I've seen chub in my swim when I've been eating cheese sandwiches. :unsure:;)

John.

ROFL!!!!

I think a lot of people imagine pike swim around all the time searching for food but can more than often lie in one spot motionless waiting for a meal to come by.

Yep. Especially in the cooler months. When caught they often have various leeches and things on them. A sure sign they've been laying low on the bottom.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Guest tigger
Yep. Especially in the cooler months. When caught they often have various leeches and things on them. A sure sign they've been laying low on the bottom.

Yeah i've even had them with Barnacles on them :unsure:

I often see jacks waiting just to the side of where I reel in, especially if catching a lot of silverfish. I guess all the commotion leads them to me. On several occasions they have sprung an attack on the hooked fish. Got to feel sorry for a small roach - as if being hooked hadn't spoiled his day already!

I went down the same stretch of river yesterday but fished a different peg and between casts I decided to look at the peg where the pike was , it was there again nearly in the same position so Iwent and set up my predator rod and tried a few different spinners and plugs right past the end of its nose within inches ,it ignored them all and eventually just swam off again at a leisurely pace so I guess it was just a coincidence .