Any other gremlins in Windows 10 ?

Vagabond

Just installed Windows 10

It would have been nice to forewarn users that some items would disappear as a result of "upgrading", but the megalomaniacs in charge evidently thought that beneath them.

So, finding where all the familiar prompt buttons were hidden and decyphering a whole bevy of un-labelled "click-on" symbols was a minor annoyance.

At that point I nearly followed Sportsman's lead (reverting to Windows 7)

However, the annoyance gave way to horror as I noticed my desktop looked denuded, and realised that amongst comparative trivia (eg Google Earth) my security programmes, (antivirus, firewall, cleaners, etc etc) had diappeared. ...and the programmes were not hidden, either, they had gone

So just spent an hour or so retrieving passwords (why 39 digits long?, there are not that number of people on earth - or are they worried about being hacked by aliens ?) and reinstalling my various security items ... and the bloody Windows 10 wouldn't let me copy and paste, so had to physically write down and then type in these long "passwords"

I hope Gates's ears are burning.

So after all that, I am taking the "tutorial" and staying with Windows 10 - can't face the hassle of changing back and losing programmes again.

Is there anything else lurking that I haven't noticed yet ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

my desktop is still the same but i did download iobits start button dooda as the win10 wasnt to my liking ,still cannot make paintshop pro my default photo viewer i cannot see a way of selecting it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dave, you should have read the previous posts re W10 :) Sportsman is not the only one to go back to W7. Caused chaos with mine so I reverted, but still lost a lot of stuff, especially Emails I had saved.

Strangely enough a neighbour of mine, who "hasn't a clue re computers" had no probs at all !

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday too and found that my Anti-virus software was gone too.

These things should be highlighted as a warning before the upgrade starts. Now I'm hoping that my anti-virus software is compatible with W10.

The first thing I did after the update to W10 was disable everything that allows software on the web to access my data and camera if you don't do this and don't realise that your webcam can be switched on remotely by software on the web and that Microsoft and other software can access your computer unless you disable it in the setup you could have an unwanted surprise LOL.

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

After about a month it seems to have slowed down. It is not my broadband as that is still ok, but I have to wait for screens to appear and fully populate. Today the options on the start button have moved around. How does one disable the stuff that Boldbear mentioned

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Strangely enough a neighbour of mine, who "hasn't a clue re computers" had no probs at all !

Does your neighbour "know enough about computers" to realise whether or not he has a problem ?

"No problem" is a phrase that seems to be prevalent worldwide - often the only English phrase the utterer knows.

I suspect what is really being said is

"I don't really know anything about it, and wouldn't recognise a problem if it jumped up and bit me"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 2 weeks later...

After it slowed almost to a standstill I, for some unknown reason, decided to do a restart instead of a power off. After about 20 minutes of telling me to wait for it to shut down it started to apply updates. This took about half an hour, then it restarted, finished applying the updates, and went back to a reasonably fast speed. I checked to see which updates had been applied, and the dates were 2 days before the current date. It still seems to be working quite well

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not