SandTiger

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one question about that article

why use seine nets for catch and release

I thought people seine netted to sell there catch :g:

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Hi Tiggs

I guess it depends on the individual species.

I have a pal who catches fish for the aquariums. They insist on rod and line caught fish as the majority survive.

As you are probably aware common skate have been caught within half an hour of being released. If they were stressed they wouldn't be feeding.

We regularly catch the same Pollack time and time again.

Tagged Tope are recaptured usually by commercials in the Bay of Biscay and the Azores

Defra have run a cod tagging programme and have recaptured many fish.

My pal reckons Haddock die if they are released but survive if the gases are released with a needle

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I personally reckon that fish that are released back into the ocean have a much higher rate of survival than fish killed by commercials.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hi Tiggs

I guess it depends on the individual species.

I have a pal who catches fish for the aquariums. They insist on rod and line caught fish as the majority survive.

As you are probably aware common skate have been caught within half an hour of being released. If they were stressed they wouldn't be feeding.

We regularly catch the same Pollack time and time again.

Tagged Tope are recaptured usually by commercials in the Bay of Biscay and the Azores

Defra have run a cod tagging programme and have recaptured many fish.

My pal reckons Haddock die if they are released but survive if the gases are released with a needle

Hi Ian, Last weekend, while fishing at LA with Mick, and Colin, Colin had a Spurry of about 3 lbs,...released it, and his next fish about 10 mins later was the same Spurry, recognisable from the empty hook hole in the other side of its mouth... its the first time I've seen that happen with Spurries, I thought it would take it longer than 10 mins to get to the bottom, which was well over 300 feet away... then I had imagined, a released fish ( particularly a small fish ) would lie sulking for a while !! Obviously not !! :)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

"Rubbish! They need to cool down on the plate"

Rubbish, returned fish may make it and therefore make other fish.

If returned and they dont survive they will at least be able to feed other fish.

:schmoll:

1509tarpon_75_.gif

"Rubbish! They need to cool down on the plate"

Rubbish, returned fish may make it and therefore make other fish.

If returned and they dont survive they will at least be able to feed other fish.

:schmoll:

:clap2: There's a pretty basic logic to that sentiment that can't be argued over. :clap2:

Now that's just the kind of ill-informed journalism that we don't need! What an awful story.

I'd like to know how the hell those so called 'Scientists' managed to 'observe' 88 bone fish after they had been released - they must be superhuman. And, why the hell didn't they do what every angler does when they release a bonefish - hold the fish in the water until it recovers and is ready to swim away!

Talk about giving anglers a bad name. The entire story, just like the experiment itself, look as though they were put together to give recreational anglers a bad name. :wallbash: