Catch-Release Angling Injures Fish

SandTiger

Did this stupid woman really have to catch 88 bonefish just to find out what any half sensible angler could have told her anyway, that you have to hold onto tired fish until they have recovered enough to at least maintain their equilibrium? This is the second piece of angling based "scientific research" that has started sexist rumblings in the back of my mind; remember that prat from Scotland who was amazed to find that when she injected trout with bee venom they didn't like it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 14 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: There's a pretty basic logic to that sentiment that can't be argued over. :clap2:
I'm sorry but without solid evidence it can be argued over. 'Returned fish make it'

how does he know? Where is the evidence? This seems to me like another situation where some folks just don't like their own little beleif systems being challenged.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Aug 15 2007, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that's just the kind of ill-informed journalism that we don't need! What an awful story.

I'd like to know how the hell those so called 'Scientists' managed to 'observe' 88 bone fish after they had been released - they must be superhuman. And, why the hell didn't they do what every angler does when they release a bonefish - hold the fish in the water until it recovers and is ready to swim away!

Talk about giving anglers a bad name. The entire story, just like the experiment itself, look as though they were put together to give recreational anglers a bad name. :wallbash:

Arguing from ignorance is a logical fallacy and does not help your case. Why not research the original article, rather than just slagging off a Scientist that dares publish an article that contradicts your belief system. Had you bothered to to a bit of Googling you could have found more about the original research here http://www.ceibahamas.org/bonefish.html and you can email Sascha here saschaclark@ceibahamas.org. You would also have found that their research is sponsored mostly by contributions from recreational angling bodies.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I agree, argueing from ignorance is a logical fallacy. So why didn't the scientist in question write a report based on the whole story?

Oh, and i'll think you'll find that I' not the only angler who believes that if you help a fish to recover it stands one hell of a good chance of surviving.

Basing an opinion that most fish die once released on a study of one of the hardest fighting fish in the sea is hardly a 'fair' scientific experiment is it?

The oxygen levels in warm, shallow water are far lower than that of deeper, cooler water for a start - which means any fish that has expended a large proportion of its energy is going to take far longer to recover anyway.

If the link you sent is the only piece of research that the article was based on, it should have clearly stated that, not indicated that this applies to 'most fish' - that's just journalistic license gone bad.

More often than not, wherever you find bonefish you find sharks. I've had a number of bones taken by lemon sharks while I have been playing them, especially in the Bahamas. I'm not surprised at all that the mortailty rate given is so high. Unfortunately, the apex predator element is something that we can't control when fishing.

I do, however, firmly believe that a bonefish will survive if it is allowed to recover before being released by being properly handled and nursed!

The Billfish Foundation have been tagging and releasing rod-caught marlin all over the world for years, and they don't report 'most of them dying'. In fact, they are able to track the tagged fish and find out exactly how well they are doing.

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Aug 16 2007, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, argueing from ignorance is a logical fallacy. So why didn't the scientist in question write a report based on the whole story?

Whats 'the whole story'?

B)-->

Oh, and i'll think you'll find that I' not the only angler who believes that if you help a fish to recover it stands one hell of a good chance of surviving.

Basing an opinion that most fish die once released on a study of one of the hardest fighting fish in the sea is hardly a 'fair' scientific experiment is it?

I have read the article several times now, and had a good read here and can't find any reference that states 'most fish die once released'. As far as I can ascertain she has not published the paper yet. All this is based on a report on the Discovery Channel website.

B)-->

If the link you sent is the only piece of research that the article was based on, it should have clearly stated that, not indicated that this applies to 'most fish' - that's just journalistic license gone bad.

Again don't blame the researcher for what is printed in the media. They have different agendas. This is why I always recommend that folks try to track down and read the original research documents, not the drivel that is printed in the Sun, the Daily Mail or as in this case the Discovery News website.

B)-->

I do, however, firmly believe that a bonefish will survive if it is allowed to recover before being released by being properly handled and nursed!

The Billfish Foundation have been tagging and releasing rod-caught marlin all over the world for years, and they don't report 'most of them dying'. In fact, they are able to track the tagged fish and find out exactly how well they are doing.

This part of your argument is another logical fallacy, this time a non sequiter. Just because marlin cope well with catch and release does not mean that the same will apply to bone fish or any other species. Just being touched by a human hand is tantamount to a death sentence for mackerel.

I noticed this bit in the Discovery Channel article

Broadhurst and Danylchuk also recommend that catch and release fishermen should minimize air exposure, use landing nets without knotted mesh, use barbless hooks to help expedite hook removal, and avoid sunscreen and bug repellent on hands, since Danylchuk said, "these can affect the slime coating on fish."

Trophy fish photos are still possible, she said, but fishermen must take care.

"Make sure to get your shot all set up before taking the fish out of the water," she advised. "When you do take the fish out of the water, try holding your breath. When you need to breathe, the fish probably does too and it's time to put it back in the water."

I can't see what there is to argue with in that. There is even a link to a photo showing one how to release a bonefish

...don't blame the researcher for what is printed in the media...

Why? Who do think tells the media about their research. If these self-publicists are misrepresented in the populist media they choose to use, in preference to the peer reviewed journals that less egotistical researchers use to publish their results, then that is entirely their own (or their supervisor's) fault.

Sadly, some institutions love publicity, good or bad, hence we all know about the bee stung trout research of the Roslin Institute along with it's other claim to fame "Dolly the sheep".

Why? Who do think tells the media about their research. If these self-publicists are misrepresented in the populist media they choose to use, in preference to the peer reviewed journals that less egotistical researchers use to publish their results, then that is entirely their own (or their supervisor's) fault.

Sadly, some institutions love publicity, good or bad, hence we all know about the bee stung trout research of the Roslin Institute along with it's other claim to fame "Dolly the sheep".

Sheesh some folks are never pleased. The paper is going to be published in a peer reviewed journal. Says so right at the top of the Discovery article (Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology). Why the researcher spoke to Discovery first is beyond my ken, but I have already posted her email adress so you can write and ask her. The Roslin Instutite are doing some sterling research. Please don't rubbish therir work because you don't understand the science or because the science might contradict your own belief system.

I've caught plenty of bonefish and tarpon and KNOW that they have survived... How? I take time reviving them and watch them speed off. On sand flats with less than 1 foot of water you would see a cuda or shark hit a mile off.

Yet another half arsed 'paper' released by a researcher trying to justify their funding.

FlyGuy

I think we should take as much notice of this report as our Government does regarding CEFAS research and laypersons' observations regarding disappearing UK fish stocks!

Tope and other sharks don't take kindly to finning!

Spurdogs don't take kindly to massive longlining.

Soles don't take kindly to the organised cheating on quotas.

Flounders and dogfish rarely survive as pot bait ...

and by the way, much of the 12 mile sea bed is flatter than Kate Moss's tum!!!!!!! (And less useful)

:headhurt:

I've caught plenty of bonefish and tarpon and KNOW that they have survived... How? I take time reviving them and watch them speed off. On sand flats with less than 1 foot of water you would see a cuda or shark hit a mile off.

Yet another half arsed 'paper' released by a researcher trying to justify their funding.

FlyGuy

How long do you KNOW they lived for after they sped off? Edited by corydoras