Safer Rigs

rarepleasures

I'm guessing that most of the mouth damaged I witnessed last week was 'caused' by the line digger into the scissors of the mouth.

Someone suggested to me a short lenght of rubber tubing up from the eye of the hook will cause less damage.

I was wondering if running rigs are potentional better than semi fixed rigs because the fish is having to bear more the weight of the lead witha fixed rig ?.

What ways are there to make your leger rigs safer ?

Tony

Tony

I'm guessing that most of the mouth damaged I witnessed last week was 'caused' by the line digger into the scissors of the mouth.

Someone suggested to me a short lenght of rubber tubing up from the eye of the hook will cause less damage.

I was wondering if running rigs are potentional better than semi fixed rigs because the fish is having to bear more the weight of the lead witha fixed rig ?.

Tony

Most mouth damage is caused by poor unhooking and use of overly strong tackle, especially if coupled with braided mainline. The bit of tubing near the eye of a hook is to create a safe version of the bent hook to aid hooking rather than mouth protection.

I don't think a running rig would help as long as the semi-fixed is set up correctly and balanced tackle is used. And the angler can unhook a fish properly.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Tony

most of the fish in that lake have mouth damage, and ive seen some very severe cases from there. i had a holiday there a couple of weeks ago, and when i do go there to fish, i always take great care in playing fish and always carry bongela.

Most mouth damage is caused by poor unhooking....

That is where I've witnessed most damage to be done.

....and use of overly strong tackle, especially if coupled with braided mainline.

Hmmmm, I disagree with that. I've used Drennan Micro-braid for over 10 years and have never experienced any mouth damage. And for the record, for carp fishing, I use 50lb PowerPro mainline and 3.25lb Tc rods too.

As I've said, most of the mouth damage I've seen as an angler and as many years as a bailiff are down to poor handling. Having said that, poor technique in playing the fish can also cause damage too. I cringe when I see anglers cranking the rod hard left in a horizontal position, then hard right in the same manner, like their playing a 15ft great White. And when the angle of the line changes, the hook point does too.

That is where I've witnessed most damage to be done.

Hmmmm, I disagree with that. I've used Drennan Micro-braid for over 10 years and have never experienced any mouth damage. And for the record, for carp fishing, I use 50lb PowerPro mainline and 3.25lb Tc rods too.

As I've said, most of the mouth damage I've seen as an angler and as many years as a bailiff are down to poor handling. Having said that, poor technique in playing the fish can also cause damage too. I cringe when I see anglers cranking the rod hard left in a horizontal position, then hard right in the same manner, like their playing a 15ft great White. And when the angle of the line changes, the hook point does too.

Yes, true - I should have said overly strong tackle in inexperienced hands. Playing a fish 'hard' on light gear won't do nearly as much (if any) damage compared to the same with heavy gear.

Out of interest, do you use 50lb braid and 3.25tc rods all the time or just for distance work?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, true - I should have said overly strong tackle in inexperienced hands. Playing a fish 'hard' on light gear won't do nearly as much (if any) damage compared to the same with heavy gear.

Very true.

Out of interest, do you use 50lb braid and 3.25tc rods all the time or just for distance work?

50lb PowerPro and 3.25lb tc rods are my standard/normal/general Carping set up, where I have the capability to reach 160yrds plus if I need/have to.

The main reason for the 50lb PowerPro is that Shockleaders are banned where I'm fishing at the moment, so it's a way round that rule. And using 50lb mainline isn't 'unsporting' (as some might think) anyway.