Wire for perch

Anderoo

Cheers for the welcome guys, Most of my fishing is in thames wier pools and the takes all seem to be fairly savage but i had a few droped runs which i took to be perch so hence the hair rig idea which i also fish by leaving a normal loop on the end of hair and pulling through the bait fish,s mouth with a baiting needle and pinch on a split shot to hold bait on but i have not found the small hook method to be a problem as long as you watch your float rod tip all the time.

The reason for a 3 inch hair is i believe the mono helps to keep wire out of the stripeys mouth for a moment so the take is more confident.

I have also caught a load of chub with this method mainly from the corners and the run offs from wiers but the chub only seem to feature in the winter rather than the autumn ?.

Pike, perch, chub they all fight like tigers from these wier pools so a lighter test curve rod that would easily cope with a mid double pike from a stillwater strugles big time with these wier pool fish mainly coz of the anchor ropes which they seem to have a uncanny knack of finding if you dont have your wits about you, I have even noticed that the pike seem even more energetic from some pools compare to others especialy mapledurham dont ask me why ! steve.

Hi JV44, welcome to AN, and what a fascinating first few posts :) It's not often that someone introduces a completely new idea, especially in predator fishing (in my experience at least!), but this is all very thought provoking and something I've never considered before.

I'm going for a ponder - cheers!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderoo thanks for the comments mate to be honest i have looked on forums for ages but never had the bottle to post before but its not as scarry as i thought and everybody seems very friendly, I notice on one of your other posts you say you wanted to try fly fishing for pike give it a go mate you will love it i started this year and have joined the PFFA for some tips.

I have only caught 2 so far but on a fly rod they dont half go and seem to spend half there time airbourne ,I took them from the thames just above henley in the summer.

I also keep a cruiser on the thames which is dead handy for a bit if night fishing even if the girlfriend does moan about rod pod and rods on back of boat women eh !.

Caught my first three barbel this summer you try for years and then three come along in one night , I took them from opposite where st patricks stream comes into the thames, just love the river fished it as a lad in the early seventies and it just keeps drawing me back steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• 1 year later...
ifound some good quality cheap traces[ which have the added bonus of the top treble slides up or down the trace thus the hooks are allways placed in the perfect position you just lock that treble in position withthe wire for differet size baits they dont kink that much eaither allso go 72 spinning tracesfor about £6 with snap swivels etc

Its wire for perch we are talking about here and sorry but there is no such thing as "good quality" cheap traces.

Its crap "spinning traces" like that that a lot of serious pikers have been trying to see the end of for years. I strongly reccomend that people dont use such tackle.

Edited by Elton

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

QUOTE (jessjenn @ Oct 29 2009, 06:20 PM)

ifound some good quality cheap traces which have the added bonus of the top treble slides up or down the trace thus the hooks are allways placed in the perfect position you just lock that treble in position withthe wire for differet size baits they dont kink that much eaither allso got 72 spinning traces for about £6 with snap swivels etc

http//www.bluebellangling.com

Its wire for perch we are talking about here and sorry but there is no such thing as "good quality" cheap traces.

Its crap "spinning traces" like that that a lot of serious pikers have been trying to see the end of for years. I strongly reccomend that people dont use such tackle.

Its a disgrace that companies still manufacture these bumper packs of spinning traces and worst still that Tackle shops and web sites sell them.

I have seen them as cheap as £4.99 for the 72 "trace card", I can see how the price mark may be seductive but this sort of tackle should never see the light of day. The biggest traces on the card may go 8" (Very useful :rolleyes: ) but the smaller ones are no more then 3" (What are they for ?)

Have the manufacturers ever seen the size of a Pikes mouth and tried to do the maths.

As Budgie recomends, don't use this sort of stuff.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Have used the 15lb Drennan Soft Strand Wire for Perch and it does a good job. It's very supple and very thin. It does get the odd kink, but hey that's just another excuse to put together some new traces. Sad but true I enjoy putting together rigs and traces.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I've just taken delivery of some 10lb fox carboflex wire, which includes some of their crimps. Its very imprssive, fine diameter and carbon coated which means it feels - and looks - like 8/10lb maxima... although obviously wire! I'm going to use it on the zander, but i reckon it would work for perch too.