NTL / now Virgin modems ?

RobStubbs

Hi,

Essentially only Virgin supplied modems can be attached to their 'cable' system, they won't register the mac address of a non-virgin piece of equipment. Many of the ebay versions won't work on the Virgin system.

Len

Do you have proof of that ?

I've be very surprised if it is was true, as I'm sure it would be a restrictive trade practice and illegal.

Tony

I've be very surprised if it is was true, as I'm sure it would be a restrictive trade practice and illegal.

No problem at all if they provide a free modem for you. Also as it is their network they have a right to determine exactly what does and does not get directly attached to it.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

I don't know how you work that one out. It is Virgin's network, they get to decide what devices can be connected and what can't. Where would one buy a 3rd party cable modem anyway?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I refer m'learned friend to the link included in the original post and Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions. :ph34r:

Len

Cheers for the comments and discussion guys. I did infact appear to have a faulty modem and I have now got a new one from virgin - ethernet, rather than USB as well. All seems to work fine and speeds are better and the whole system appears totally stable, whereas before it used to drop the connection every now and again.

Rob.

Cheers for the comments and discussion guys. I did infact appear to have a faulty modem and I have now got a new one from virgin - ethernet, rather than USB as well. All seems to work fine and speeds are better and the whole system appears totally stable, whereas before it used to drop the connection every now and again.

Rob.

You will be much better off with a Ethernet connection rather than some crappy USB device.

Happy surfin'

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

• 2 weeks later...
I refer m'learned friend to the link included in the original post and Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions. :ph34r:

Len

I've had a look and theres nothing there to say you can't use your own equipment only that they don't offer technical support if you do.

Tony

I don't know how you work that one out. It is Virgin's network, they get to decide what devices can be connected and what can't.

No. They provide internet access and so long as you aren't breaking their terms and conditions as regarding its use, or disrupt its service, its fair enough to use whatever equipment you want.

Where would one buy a 3rd party cable modem anyway?

Online, computer fair, wherever. If you wanted to upgrade you equipment to the latest wireless standard for example to give you faster access on a home network

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

No. They provide internet access and so long as you aren't breaking their terms and conditions as regarding its use, or disrupt its service, its fair enough to use whatever equipment you want.

Online, computer fair, wherever. If you wanted to upgrade you equipment to the latest wireless standard for example to give you faster access on a home network

Might you be confusing the cable modem with router?

You can attach a router to the cable modem no problem at all, and Virgin are trialling a netgear wireless router on which they will offer support.

The cable modem is a different beast altogether - this has to be registered by Virgin when they make your connection live - They will not register a cable modem that has not been supplied by them.

Len

I think you are confusing cable with DSL. DSL you can use any old router you like. Show me a link to any site selling 3rd party cable termination units?