Float Fishing For Pike - Advice

Elton

Posted on behalf of Ian. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hi there guys i was wondering if you could help me out with a little advise.well i have just started pike fishing and i have used the normal rigs i.e ledgering dead bait and plugs and spinners but i was going to try dead baiting with a sliding float so how do i get the depth right before i attach the slip knot to the line

regards ian

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Without the slip knot you will never find out what depth of water you have in front of you.

Tie on the stop(slip) knot and keep on sliding it up the line and recasting until the float stops going under

Its really as simple as that and lots of best guesses as to depth before you first cast out and then lots of repeated casting until you hit upon the correct depth

Look for suden changes in depth and any features or drop offs and fish over them

I wouldn't bother with a stop knot, just use a couple of rubber rig stops - moisten them before you slide them to avoid damaging the line.

Stick a bead on afterwards, then your float.

Pencil floats are best for stillwaters as long as it's not too rough. Avoid the loaded ones. Attach it bottom-end-only, set it a foot or two overdepth and stick three or four swan shot on the trace about 18" from the bait.

When you sling it out, the float will lie flat on the water. Tighten the line carefully and it will cock. This is very sensitive, it will usually keel over when a fish picks your bait up, then bob and go under as it moves off.

On rivers you need a through-the-middle float, use a sliding bomb for weight, say a couple of ounces and again set it slightly over-depth. It's easier fished upstream, as the flow will tighten the float up.

There's more information on rigs and other aspects of pike fishing here: www.pacgb.com look in the fishing tips bit down the left hand side.

Edited by ChrisBishop

Loaded pencil floats are an abomination! You miss just so much information and that could lead to deeply hooked fish. Drop backs or slack line bites are an example of what you might miss. Best place for loaded pencil floats is a skip!