Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

This topic is going round in circles and is shortly going to disappear up its own arse with the petty and childish comments posted.

I don't understand why so many fit and able bodied anglers seem to begrudge just a little help to their less able bankside companions. Are we really so petty minded that we object to a few paltry pounds discount to someone less able to fish as freely as we can?

If a few pounds of my licence fee goes to helping someone less fortunate to get out fishing, then I'm quite happy with that. If my licence fee went up to fund more facilities for disabled anglers, I'd be happy with that too. I'm lucky. I'm fit, (well, sort of....), able bodied and able to fish more or less where I like.

I can't begin to imagine what it's like to have that need to fish and then not be able to because of physical difficulties.

Janet

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disabled and I realise that fishery owners have to spend extra money(from their own pockets) to make some pegs suitable for wheelchairs, or less able bodied anglers, so why should I expect the owners to foot the bill and get a cheaper license and day ticket than "normal" anglers pay? If anything I should expect to pay more, to compensate the fishery owner for the work that they have undertaken.

To be honest I do pay for a concessionary license, although I(personally) would have no problem with paying for a full license. I buy a concessionary as I am "entitled" to do so, and I think the vast majority of people would do the same? But I think we all forget that angling is one sport where it is an almost level playing field, I would gladly take anyone on in a match, although I'd probably get my ass whooped, but I hope you get my drift.

Admittedly there are some places where I can't get to fish, but on the other hand, there are some disabled pegs that able bodied anglers aren't allowed to fish. So where is the line drawn?? Do we all just stop paying for a license, and expect pot-luck when we go to a fishery, or do we pay a license fee and get some venues that give us preferential treatment?

I know not all (or perhaps not even the majority) of venues cater enough for some disabled anglers, but in my eyes the ones that do are worth the license fee alone.

The above are my own personal thoughts, and I have no doubts that they will get ripped to bits by some folk..............

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

I'm disabled and I realise that fishery owners have to spend extra money(from their own pockets) to make some pegs suitable for wheelchairs, or less able bodied anglers, so why should I expect the owners to foot the bill and get a cheaper license and day ticket than "normal" anglers pay? If anything I should expect to pay more, to compensate the fishery owner for the work that they have undertaken.

The whole debate surrounds the compulsory Rod Licence and has nothing to do with any concessions that private fisheries/syndicates/clubs make for anyone. I have a choice as to wether I can afford to pay any of these or not.The dissabled angler also has a choice to whether the facillities/acsess at any of these are suitable for them to "get their monies worth"With the Rod Licence there is no choice.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

To be honest I do pay for a concessionary license, although I(personally) would have no problem with paying for a full license. I buy a concessionary as I am "entitled" to do so, and I think the vast majority of people would do the same? But I think we all forget that angling is one sport where it is an almost level playing field, I would gladly take anyone on in a match, although I'd probably get my ass whooped, but I hope you get my drift.

Admittedly there are some places where I can't get to fish, but on the other hand, there are some disabled pegs that able bodied anglers aren't allowed to fish. So where is the line drawn?? Do we all just stop paying for a license, and expect pot-luck when we go to a fishery, or do we pay a license fee and get some venues that give us preferential treatment?

I know not all (or perhaps not even the majority) of venues cater enough for some disabled anglers, but in my eyes the ones that do are worth the license fee alone.

The above are my own personal thoughts, and I have no doubts that they will get ripped to bits by some folk..............

Can't see why you would be critisised for the post you have just left. Don't forget all companies in the uk have to cater for the disabled otherwise you would not have access to them, ramps in place of steps for example, car parking places near the door. so all have to contribute. No one complains about that.

Janet, i don't doubt that there are many others who would pay extra, but the point i make is that your money would not go to the front line. It would be used first of all for wages and pensions to you know who. Then perhaps it would go to the men on the ground, finally the bit that might be left just might be used for improvement, somehow i think it will go into the black hole.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, but if you read all my previous post, I'm sure you would have got my drift Budgie, I think concessionary licenses should be abolished, every adult should pay the same, and then fishery owners could perhaps get funding from the EA to make fisheries more suitable for ALL anglers.

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

Kleinboet, I have nothing against disabled people whatsoever, I have already stated that 2 of my close family are disabled. What I am against is the title of the topic - anger at rising concessionary license, that it what bugged me into writng on this thread and is the whole point of my argument, put simply why moan at the price of the license, concessionary or not.

Slacklines, well said and well done for your honest appraisal of the topic!

Zedhead - your remarks, like bluzulus, were hurtful to disabled people. Slacklines has put it well.

Ian, I agree, I would pay the the current licence fee, but I don't have to (this makes the pennies from the government "handout" go a little further!). I have only fished a dedicated disabled angling water twice (there are not allowed to advertise as a "dedicated disabled angling water" because that would be discriminatory), preferring waters that are closer to home.

I am not a competitive angler - I HAVE fished matches - but I prefer to choose my own water and fish it for as long as I want for enjoyment!

I have two local waters that I fish, they cater for me in respect of pegs that are easily accessable and I am close enough to home to act on any emergency.

The other thing not mentioned here before is the fact that most disabled people fish for a limited time only, fishing longer only results in uncomfortness. Abled body can fish from dawn to dusk, no problem.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Why, oh, Why do we have to have 'personal skits' at each other, when discussing a topic?

For the benefit of 'guests' and newcomers, some of the comments on this thread are made by people who have 'issues' with each other. These 'issues' have been carried through a couple of forums, and are now being seen in several threads on here.

It might not be my place to say it, but, could those people please keep their personal animosity confined to PMs, or e mails?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John