Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

Guest tigger
Maybe they are SAD :lol:

By the way SAD is an illness were people need to get as much sunlight as possible. (just in case anyone thought I was taking the mick)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of no other tax wherby you would have to pay the full amount of that tax but only be able to access a small percentage of the service.

Hmm, have to pick you up on that one. Income tax, council tax, most of our taxes are quite redistributive, so the people who pay most tend to be the people who get least.

Yeh, let's do away with the concessionary licences.

Let's halve the price, make it across the board, but, make it for one rod only, two rods, two licences.

Then those that use more rods, pay more, that sounds fair to me.

Simple aint it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Actually, I can think of lots of areas where public money is spent to benefit a smaller demographic than us, but I've just heard about a complete and utter waste of 10 million pounds; this video of Richard Dawkins talking about non-evidence based medicine mentions that 10 million pounds of taxpayers money was spent refurbishing the Royal Homeopathic Hospital. :thumbdown::wallbash::angry:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=86...14976&hl=en

Yup, I saw this too Steve an absolute disgrace IMO.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hmm, have to pick you up on that one. Income tax, council tax, most of our taxes are quite redistributive, so the people who pay most tend to be the people who get least.

Yeah I see your point there.

Joe

Yeh, let's do away with the concessionary licences.

Let's halve the price, make it across the board, but, make it for one rod only, two rods, two licences.

Then those that use more rods, pay more, that sounds fair to me.

Simple aint it.

Agreed, though you probably won't get them to halve the price.

Just two small additions.

Firstly, Day licences should be bookable a minimal cost online - they can check the database already so no problem there.

and

If you buy a full year licence, you should be able to take a guest fishing at no charge for one day - so long as you fill in their personal details on your licence and get them to sign and date it BEFORE they start to fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

your argument of there should be no concessions

I haven't said there should be no concessions, just voiced a frustration that some of those who do get them never seem satisfied.

A rod licence is a lawful document that allows you to fish with rod and line on any inland water so long as you have permission, now if can not access a lot of that water through a disability then why should you have to pay the full amount.

But nowhere does it guarantee you the right to fish where you want.

The argument that there would be no money left for the upkeep of waters is rediculouse, most of the waters in the UK receive no money from the EA at all. Privately owned waters such as commercials have to pay for their own upkeep including most of their restocking and their own disabled access although there are grants avaliable but they are from the government and the EU.

They ain't perfect, but they do try. Have a look here for the range of services they attempt to maintain: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/?lang=_e

Were I fortunate{?} enough to be running a fishery on a commercial basis I wouldn't expect anyone else to be paying my on-going costs!

I can think of no other tax wherby you would have to pay the full amount of that tax but only be able to access a small percentage of the service.

I can see your point about the water is there and the fish are there but that isn't really much use if a disabled angler can't get to them.

Technically because of the close season we're we are all paying for a service that cannot be accessed all of the time, if we choose only to fish rivers that is...

Were I a physically disabled angler I'm not sure I'd want to risk fishing a steep riverbank after a sudden downpour - and if I would, just how 'disabled' am I? Nope, think I'd turn my attentions to a suitable commercial thank you very much and be grateful I could even get there.

Len

I've said before that I think the licence is a necessary evil; I don't like it in principle, but accept the argument that it's the only politically effective way of ensuring that the EA's work is funded. We shouldn't have to fund it, any more than the birdwatchers should have to give the EA some money to support kingfisher habitat, but if we don't it seems nobody else will. With that proviso, the main change I'd like to see is continuous licensing by monthly direct debit. I'll happily set up the direct debit mandate, and the EA can then give me a plastic smart card and never bother me again.

Just a couple of comments on this subject.....and a subject at that which very few seem qualified to comment on I may add.

This season (for the first time ever) I purchased my Rod Licence at a concessionary rate.I was able to do this (something I dont like about the word "entitled") as Im (and have been for a few years) in receipt of DLA (Dissabled Living Allowance).Only been able to since the rules changed.Initially you had to show yoiur "Blue Badge" dissabled parking badge to get this reduction/consession.Despite qualifying for a "Blue Badge" I had never really felt that I needed one so never aplied.

So this year I paid half price (?) or whatever.But please bear in mind I have been fishing since the age of 5 and so therefore have been paying the full whack for over 30 years.Also having been a keen specimen hunter since the age of 16 I have often used more than one rod so have had to purchase the old additional rod stickers/two licences etc.

Allthough walking a long way with lots of gear has become much harder for me now it doesnt really restrict my acsess or choice of swims! just have to make allowances for it! I can certainly get just as much out of it as a non disabled person.Just one thing limits my fishing.

Fishing is certainly not a God given right..........or is it? as the only things what stop me fishing are things put in place by man! I dont need state of the art tackle or expensive bait or even if push come to shove expensive syndicate/season/day tickets.What I DO need though is a Rod Licence.In fact the Law says I MUST have one before I fish any water even one belonging to me!

Yes the only thing that hinders my fishing is the lack of money that being unable to work brings.In its most simple term no money means limited bait,limited,tackle,limited licences.BUT that is all aceptable,I can still fish.BUT I MUST have a rod licence.No choice or alternative there.

Im not privy to what other people on benifits recieve money wise but I can tell you what I get! I recieve under £400 a month.Out of this I still have to find £150 towards my mortgage,as well as my gas,electric and food bills.These are my basics I have to regard running a car as a luxurey,household insurances as a gamble I have to take as I cant afford them,phone lines and internet ISP as a luxurey I have to go without food to afford! (not whinning as its a choice Im prepared to make) And in all fairness if it wasnt for the support of my family and friends I wouldnt have any of these "luxuries"!

Im quite happy to take my consession for my rod licence as even though my fishing is a luxurey that I choose buying a rod licence isnt! And for me thats why its my income thats the real issue not any lack of/reduced return.

So all the "Angling is a luxurey" posters should I have to give up my only interest in life because my dissability (which I certainly dont like/want to have) stops me from earning enough to buy the one COMPULSORY angling item there is?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!