Up here in Scotland

scotsgun

Well, i've finally made it and moved from Essex to Scotland. That'll be despite the house initially failing to get a habitation order and the removal truck engine siezing on the M6!

A week spent in travellodges makes you appreciate your own bed so much.

Anyway, now that i'm here - is there any sites on the south west coast of Scotland worth a visit at the mo?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, i've finally made it and moved from Essex to Scotland. That'll be despite the house initially failing to get a habitation order and the removal truck engine siezing on the M6!

A week spent in travellodges makes you appreciate your own bed so much.

Anyway, now that i'm here - is there any sites on the south west coast of Scotland worth a visit at the mo?

:whistling::roll1: (tumbleweed rolls across to the sound of the wind whistling)

Looks like you might be a pioneer in the area SG. :D Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your discoveries :thumbs:

you'll take the high road, and I'll take the low road,

have you seen any of those wee haggis yet

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi Scotsgun,

Where are you based ?

There's plenty kayakers up here. It's just that we keep all the good marks a secret. Send me a photocopy of your passport to prove you are now a resident and I will give you some top secret marks............ :P

Neil.

Hi Scotsgun. I grew up in Stranraer and go back a few times each year so maybe we could meet up if its near you. Where are you based?

The fishing is good e.g. I spent a happy afternoon this summer catching tope in Luce Bay

Don't worry if the locals are a bit dour at first, just give it two or three generations....

Ian.

Guys,

I've moved into a little town called Biggar in South Lanarkshire.

Locals shouldn't be a prob as i am Scottish! Just been out of the country for the last 15 years or so.

I know Biggar, I've flown at Tinto, to the West, on my hang glider. Looks like you're nice and centrally placed for both coasts. Should be plenty of good fishing for you. :thumbs:

Lucky you, I'm still a Scot exiled in England. Good trout fishing on the Clyde and Tweed near you. You could take the yak and try trolling for salmon down the Tweed.. let me know how you get on (probably a one way trip into Carstairs) . More realistically you could take the yak to N. Berwick and Dunbar area and try for Cod. In the other direction the Ayshire coast isn't so hot. I have sea-fishing mates in Glasgow and they drive down to West Galloway and complete ignore Ayrshire. Thats too far from Biggar for a day trip. Sorry but I've no idea what the Solway is like at the Dumfries end.

Plugger

Guys,

I've moved into a little town called Biggar in South Lanarkshire.

Locals shouldn't be a prob as i am Scottish! Just been out of the country for the last 15 years or so.

Your certainly in the middle at Biggar. Dunbar would be your nearest mark on the East Coast. Don't launch at Dunbar though, go down to Torness power station and launch at Skateraw Harbour. There's plenty good fishing close in on the reefs around the sation.

For the West coast your nearest decent marks would be in Wigtown Bay, plenty species to target in here and some good sheltered launch sites. Brighouse bay offers the most sheltered access and the fishing can be quite good around the Ross Island Marks. Further along there's Mossyard which will put you onto some good marks and again a decent launch site. Watch for the tides on the headlands in Wigtown bay, although not as fierce as some marks in the Solway and Luce Bay, they can still be a little tricky on bigger tides.

I have fished all these marks a few times so if you need any info before a trip just give me a holler. :thumbs:

Neil.