Fishing in Scotland

Scatman

A couple of years ago a friend and I spent a weeks fishing in Scotland. We were based in Oban and had a couple of days skate fishing and a few sessions on Loch Etive.

We caught spurdog on the Loch, but nothing of any great size, although we did get bitten off a couple of times.

This time, we would like to concentrate on the shore fishing, targeting tope, skate (if possible) spurdogs and some light rod work for pollack.

Again, we will be based in Oban with family, but we are willing to travel within reason. (We are travelling up from Cornwall again).

We will hopefully have the use of a RIB for a couple of days to. The RIB is kept at Tarbet (?hope that is correct).

So where should we head from Oban? Is Loch Etive worth another go? When would be the best time to head off?

Thanks!! :thumbs:

Thanks for that, but we have looked at various websites prior to our trip a couple of years ago.

As I said, info for the Tarbet area, Lochaline and so on would be appreciated.

(The marks I have mentioned I have only seen mentioned briefly so would appraciate more info on these marks and others if poss).

there is a nice wreck north of Oban in a sheltered bay, maybe 10 mins in a rib, used as 1st dive for many scuba guys. Lots of nice conger later on, some pollack there too, i can't remember the name of it but have fished it a few times. Instead of heading in to Loch Etive just go further north and into the bay in front of the caravan park and look for the buoys. Also the rock marks close to the entry to Etive itself good for pollack, happypiker.

Hiya, have a look here...

http://www.lochalinedivecentre.co.uk/diving.html

Loads of good wrecks,and areas, and there approx position...with the names you should be able to get the exact positions off Google !!!!

Dont know if i'd go Skate fishing off a rib tho'...12/0's, and Common Skate thorns, and rubber bags dont mix !! :) I've seen them slice through work gloves....

Have fun anyway..

BTW, When you up?? :):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

We are not sure exactly yet. Sooner the better tho!!

What about targetting skate from the shore? (Same for all the species I have mentioned).

We thought the rib might be useful for drfting a wreck or two, or for the tope etc.

Hi, seem to remember a letter in a magazine about fishing off the old pier in Lochaline, the problem about casting was the main issue but needed about 40 yards to hit deep water. Maybe try drifting with a balloon and then pulling it off allowing the bait to drop to the bottom??? Not many tope around mull unless you go the west side of the island or north of Tobermory.

Seem to remember Shaun hooked a skate off the old pier and had it on for about 4 hours before it snapped him off :unsure:

The hotel is right next to it which is nice :drunk:

Lets see if I can conjure up a picture of it!!

Got one of Norrie digging bait by the pier

Baitdigging.jpg

How about a drunken barbie by the pier

Barbie1.jpg

Tight lines mate :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy