Abu 501, 503, 505, 506, 506M, 507 and 1044 closed face reels - differences

Templedog

Hello,

I'm looking for an Abu closed face reel for trotting barbel und chub in medium fast rivers.

The reel has to handle 120-150 metres line of 0,18 to 0,25 mm. diameter (barbel).

The drag should work without touching the reel handle (when preparing the landing net).

Is it possible to tell me the differences between the following reels?

506M

Which reel(s) would you recommend for my way of fishing?

Is it possible to get instruction manuals of the reels anywhere?

Thanks very much,

Thilo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
Hello,

I'm looking for an Abu closed face reel for trotting barbel und chub in medium fast rivers.

The reel has to handle 120-150 metres line of 0,18 to 0,25 mm. diameter (barbel).

The drag should work without touching the reel handle (when preparing the landing net).

Is it possible to tell me the differences between the following reels?

506M

Which reel(s) would you recommend for my way of fishing?

Is it possible to get instruction manuals of the reels anywhere?

Thanks very much,

Thilo

I'm a big fan of the abu closed faced reels and prefer the 501. The drag system on the 501 is the winding handle which tightens up to put more prssure on. The winding handle moves backwards to release line at the pressure you have it set. IMO the 501 is the best and you can use it with the drag set slack but use your thumb/ finger to slow the handle (as the drag) which gives a great feeling of contact with the fish.

i'd go for the larger 507/508 merely because you mentioned barbel.

all the rest are pretty samey in capacity ,the 1044 has selectable anti reverse the others dont.

the "modern" 507 is heavy and spares unavailable the old ones are better and lighter.

rather than the drag tightening it doesent it slacks off 50% (ish) on release of the handle the drag is adjusted to the handle forward "setting" not the handle released ,its nothing more than a cam that the handle is on the top of when winding in and slides off (so less pressure on the washer / clutch) to half that height on letting go of the handle.

if you adjusted the clutch in the handle back position you wouldnt have a clutch if a fish darted off whilst you were winding it would be twice what the handle off position is ,i.e if its adjusted to just let line out with the handle back it would let none out at all winding in if you needed it in emergencies.

i think the idea is it lets the fish have its head when your using a landing net rather than putting a strain on the rod /line/ reel if it made a last second dash for freedom spotting the net.

ofcourse you can keep the drag higher merely by holding the handle forward with your thumb.

as with every thing i stand corrected if i'v been doing it the wrong way round for 30 odd years (thats exceedingly possible)

schematics for most abu's here

http://www.angelfotogalerie.de/rollenservice/abu/

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm with Chesters on this regarding the setting of the drag.

The way I set mine up, with the handle forward in the retrieve position, I adjust the drag so it pulls away just below the breaking strain of the line, then when you back wind the handle the fish can take line easily.

Obviously you can set it as light as you want, just don't set the retrieve higher than the BS of the line, that way there is less chance of a break off

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

I'm a big fan of the abu closed faced reels and prefer the 501. The drag system on the 501 is the winding handle which tightens up to put more prssure on. The winding handle moves backwards to release line at the pressure you have it set. IMO the 501 is the best and you can use it with the drag set slack but use your thumb/ finger to slow the handle (as the drag) which gives a great feeling of contact with the fish.

Tigger, I've some bad news for you mate. :unsure:

Are you sitting down?

I hope it doesn't upset you too much.

Or spoil your street cred'.

But,

I don't know how to say this.....

I, I, I agree with you, :clap2:;)

I think the 501 is the best closed faced reel ever made, I have tried lots of others but I always come back to my trusty 501.

Wow, that wasn't too difficult. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger
I don't know how to say this.....

I, I, I agree with you, :clap2:;)

John.

BL**DY HELL, it's abut time you started thinking straight :lol::thumbs:

im with chesters go for the 507 (mk1) or 508 if your kack haned .closed faced reels ain't the best reels to target barbel with due to the clutch's/drag systems .I always back wind with mine .but they will cope (mine have) but have you considered using a centrepin they have the best drags and make excellent stalking reels.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

A big fan of the 501 myself.Never used the 507 (I presume it doesnt back wind?) but can understand why it was reccomended if you are targeting barbel.

any backwind with the anti reverse pawl removed but i have had the rotor come undone at a critical moment .the rotor tightens against the anti reverse so when you wind it keeps the rotor tight on the shaft ,backwinding ofcourse can unwind the rotor with a tight line if your backwinding isnt fast enough.

i like the anti reverse and never backwind because you lose the clutch function to a degree plus i'm lazy

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest tigger
any backwind with the anti reverse pawl removed but i have had the rotor come undone at a critical moment .the rotor tightens against the anti reverse so when you wind it keeps the rotor tight on the shaft ,backwinding ofcourse can unwind the rotor with a tight line if your backwinding isnt fast enough.

i like the anti reverse and never backwind because you lose the clutch function to a degree plus i'm lazy

I can't see the point in messin around removing bits to make a reel back wind when the 501 is purpose built for the job.

Edited by tigger