Abu 501, 503, 505, 506, 506M, 507 and 1044 closed face reels - differences

Templedog

I never backwind, I just have the nut which governs the drag/backwind on the reel set at a low pressure before the handle backwinds releasing line on it's own and rather than start screwing the screw tighter to tighten the drag I just use my finger thumb to slow the speed at which the handle backwinds. I love using my 501's, I used one for some Tench fishing at night a few times a few weeks back and it was as usual brilliant sport. There great at night, no line going behind the spool etc if its a bit windy Imo the best reel there is. I just gave a m8 of mine a brand new unused 506m I never would use it as I'll always use the 501's (hence owning four of them). You know what it's like when you like something there's always room for another. :rolleyes:

certainly do the only one i have ever sold is that modern 507 i mentioned above ,i tried using chennile but the groove is far bigger than the thickness of the chennile so it went on ebay

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 0.18 or 0.20 line is possible, how much will the 501, 506 and 1044 hold?

in 1978 the 501 took 165 mtrs of 0.10 ,0.15 90mtrs ,0.20 50mtrs ,the 506 0.20 230mtrs ,0.25 170mtrs ,0.30 130mtrs.

the 503 is the same as the 506 and so is the 505.

the 507/8 0.30 170mtrs 0.35 130mtrs and 0.40 100mtrs.

the 1044 (reading of the cowl) 0.25 130mtrs ,0.30 100mtrs ,0.35 80mtrs just changed the above to mtrs whatever the difference is

Hello chesters1,

Thanks again.

Is it really true that the 501 is smaller than the other Abus?

I thought that the 501, 503, 505 and 506 have the same size.

TL.

To go right back to the question, could you tell me why you need 120-150metres of line, when trotting, please?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hello chesters1,

Thanks again.

Is it really true that the 501 is smaller than the other Abus?

I thought that the 501, 503, 505 and 506 have the same size.

TL.

as i said it depends on spools if the reel had X spool as standard fitting Y spool may make a difference the 501 came with a match spool as standard

To go right back to the question, could you tell me why you need 120-150metres of line, when trotting, please?

John.

good eyesight?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

here is a pic of the abu spools supplied with various reels

089610.jpg

left:standard deep spool

mid:metal match spool (medium)

right:the later plastic match spool (shallow)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

took my 501 apart today ,one has a anti reverse pawl the other doesent nor the little stub it pivots on ,i recon a factory mistake everything else is right perhaps a body was mixed up in production