Just broke the 20lb mark

Unimexsol

Just back from a successful evening's fishing.

Following a dismal evening (fishing wise) last night where my sole catch was a tiny roach only just bigger than a starlight I decided to go out again this evening.

Went out about 8.30 and caught a few 4 inch bleak, dace and a couple of even smaller roach. Put my pike rod up and fished about 2-4 ft out in the same spot where I'd had a 10lber last week . About 11.30 I caught a 3-4lb jack, lovely condition, hooked just in the scissors of the jaw. Quickly unhooked and returned. Out went the pike rod again, same spot.

At 12.30 the float went, as soon as I struck I knew that this was going to be a good size fish. Sure enough after a brief but strong struggle my brother in law slipped the net under a fine esox. She was hooked just past the teeth and with the aid of a pair of forceps it was a simple job to unhook. The scales read 21 1/2 lb, a quick photo (which will follow as soon as my b-i-l emails it to me) and then 3-4minutes of lying in god knows what supporting her in the water. A couple of shakes of her tail and off she swam.

Me, I'm stoked.

Spot on

Just goes to show theres no need to go down the braid trail is there

Braids not all its cracked up to be and contrary to popular opinion it does snap suddenly and for no obvious reason even when the braid in question is powerpro

Mono for the type of close in fishing you are doing is far more suitable as its built in stretch and elasticity gives you that margin of comfort when all the fight and action is under your rod tip

Spot on

Braids not all its cracked up to be and contrary to popular opinion it does snap suddenly and for no obvious reason even when the braid in question is powerpro

Mono for the type of close in fishing you are doing is far more suitable as its built in stretch and elasticity gives you that margin of comfort when all the fight and action is under your rod tip

Interesting that you should bring that up, before I went fishing the previous evening I went into my local tackle shop. The owner knows where I fish very well and when I spoke to him about using braid as mainline and explaining the advice that I'd been given he asked to see the line that I am currently using. Fortunately I had my rod and reel set up in the car, he had a good look and advised me to save my money. He said that braid wouldn't offer any advantage over the line that I currently use, especially in the locations that I fish. He too reckoned that the previous snap was caused by line damage due to the shot. I did check the pike that I caught for any other hooks/traces but there was no sign of anything untoward so either a) it threw the hook itself or b ) there is another large pike that patrols the same area.

Edited by Unimexsol

Spot on

In my experience, decent braid only snaps when it's been damaged, so you need to check it if you get snagged or you're fishing over rocks etc. It's important to use a diameter equivalent to the nylon you'd use for pike fishing. 20lb braid sounds heavy, but it has such a fine diameter that it's not suited to bait fishing, 50 or 60lb is much safer.

It dosen't stretch like mono, but it dosen't take long to get used to and you play fish accordingly.

Well done Uminexsol a fine fish indeed.

Thanks Grandma, I did listen to your advice but in the end took the advice of my local tackle shop from the owner who fishes the area regularly and who knows exactly where I fish. I'm sure that you'd do the same. I do appreciate your advice and input though and will always consider a different way of doing things.