Just broke the 20lb mark

Unimexsol

In my experience decent braid can and does snap like cotton for no apparant reason and for the purpose of clarity I am talking about power pro

This stuff can and does snap without ever coming into contact with obstructions or abrasions and has snapped on me first run first chuck directly after spooling it on to the reel.

It has also snapped above my float and between the said float and rod tip again never coming into contact with any nasties

This is not the dreaded copied in the far east stuff and sold through europe but genuine p pro bought from bass pro in America.

Its also happened to many other friends of mine who are also experienced pike anglers so we tend to speak with a bit of authority and personal experience so its worth remembering that this wonder material is only as good as the weaving and braiding process, too many short lengths and too many splices in the braiding process instill an inherent weakness in braid that only shows through use

Although I do use braid I also use mono for a range of diferent piking styles and find for close in work with big fish likely to be caught my preference is for mono

I tried braid for pike for a season or so but didn't like it at all. I can see the advantage when drifting baits over large distances but for everything else I'd always go for a good tried and tested mono. The vast majority of my piking is done within a rodlength or three though, so distance isn't an issue.

I like a little stretch in my mainline. Braid is way to 'harsh' for me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Congratulations

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Although I do use braid I also use mono for a range of diferent piking styles and find for close in work with big fish likely to be caught my preference is for mono

Although that's no my experience, I can see why you'd not want to use it again. What BS was it Brian?

Well done again U. have you got the pics yet?

congrats on the PB

for free roaming lives i alwasy use braid, anything else its braid for anything beyond say 50-60 yards, anything closer mono is a better cushion.

never been snapped up on either...never.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Although that's no my experience, I can see why you'd not want to use it again. What BS was it Brian?

Well done again U. have you got the pics yet?

30lb on the bait rods and 50lb on my lure multiplier

I never said i would'nt want to use it again I'm merely stating that braid is'nt the wonder fix all line that many posters allude it to be and that it can and does have some manufacturing weakness's built into it during the manufacturing and braiding process that causes it to break (not snap) without warning even when the product itself is brand new

When it does break due to manufacturing defects the baid is ragged and fiberous as opposed to a snag cut where the break in the braid is clean and sharp

In my experience, decent braid only snaps when it's been damaged, so you need to check it if you get snagged or you're fishing over rocks etc. It's important to use a diameter equivalent to the nylon you'd use for pike fishing. 20lb braid sounds heavy, but it has such a fine diameter that it's not suited to bait fishing, 50 or 60lb is much safer.

It dosen't stretch like mono, but it dosen't take long to get used to and you play fish accordingly.

Well done Uminexsol a fine fish indeed.

As a sea angler, i have to question the need for braid when coarse fishing. The reason we started to use it when it first come out was to half the weight that was needed to hold bottom. I also cringe when you say that you need 50lb or 60lb braid when mono at a quarter of the cost and much lighter bs would do. Most time on the drift over snaggy wrecks the most bs used is twenty with a mono leader, again this is used in a tide so less weight is needed and our line is also fishing straight up and down. the other advantage is when we are in 200 foot of water there is no stretch so it is good when bringing a lunker up. The only time i would use say 50lb breaking strain would be when we are either fishing for large conger eels or in very deep water 300ft or fishing in a very fast tide for big fish. I don't remember any of my braid snapping but obviously we have line parting at joints if we have been snagged up. Out of approximatly six reels with braid on i have only just replaced the first lot, only because i lent it to a friend who got caught on a wreck and all the braid dissappeared off the reel.

I will keep on topic and say nice fish Uminexsol.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I will keep on topic and say nice fish Uminexsol.

:D

I use braid for pike fishing because it dosen't stretch. It's more efficient for setting hooks, for working lures and has some advantages for sensitive bite indication when ledgering baits. You can get the fish in quicker. You can also better feel what's going on and it cuts through weed more efficiently.

I've only had braid snap when lure fishing, where the reel has tangled and the momentum of the lure breaks the line. You can save a few lures if you use braid of 65lb+.

For bait fishing, I use 50lb braid. I wouldn't use anything lighter for pike fishing unless it was for a specific purposes such as vertical jigging or trolling lures in deep water, where thinner braid has an advantage. 50lb braid has a diameter similar to 12lb nylon. For general pike fishing, there is no advantage of going lighter. 30lb braid is arguably too thin diameter to stand up to the rigours of general pike bait fishing. There are no advantages to using 30lb instead of 50lb, all you are doing is increasing the chances of breakages.

I can't realy comment on it's use in sea fishing, but I can see how it's lack of stretch would be useful when fishing vertically. I do know it's less abbrassion resistant than mono though, did you use a leader when wreck fishing or fish it direct to the hook?

You also answered your own concern about the cost. It's more expensive, but you don't need to replace it very often, so you get better value for money. Buy it direct from the States and it's much less expensive.

Edited by Grandma

:D

I use braid for pike fishing because it dosen't stretch. It's more efficient for setting hooks, for working lures and has some advantages for sensitive bite indication when ledgering baits. You can get the fish in quicker. You can also better feel what's going on and it cuts through weed more efficiently.

I've only had braid snap when lure fishing, where the reel has tangled and the momentum of the lure breaks the line. You can save a few lures if you use braid of 65lb+.

For bait fishing, I use 50lb braid. I wouldn't use anything lighter for pike fishing unless it was for a specific purposes such as vertical jigging or trolling lures in deep water, where thinner braid has an advantage. 50lb braid has a diameter similar to 12lb nylon. For general pike fishing, there is no advantage of going lighter. 30lb braid is arguably too thin diameter to stand up to the rigours of general pike bait fishing. There are no advantages to using 30lb instead of 50lb, all you are doing is increasing the chances of breakages.

I can't realy comment on it's use in sea fishing, but I can see how it's lack of stretch would be useful when fishing vertically. I do know it's less abbrassion resistant than mono though, did you use a leader when wreck fishing or fish it direct to the hook?

You also answered your own concern about the cost. It's more expensive, but you don't need to replace it very often, so you get better value for money. Buy it direct from the States and it's much less expensive.

Hi Grandma, thanks for that, i always use a leader, never tie it direct. I buy mine off ebay and don't really pay a lot for it. Dynema is preferred, the only stuff i don't like is the one that is coated, not sure but it could be the stuff thats called fireline. regards.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..