What feeder rod should i get ?

Ali MacDonald

Agreed! :thumbs:

And an Okuma baitfeeder reel (Epix Pro if you can afford) as takes on the method can be savage and you won't want to go swimming to retrieve your new rod!

Guest Shots for fun

Ali,

If you use the Tacklebargins link on this site and look under feeder rods they still have the TFG power feeder kit.

Also very much worth a look is the Prologic feeder which is available up to medium/heavy ideal for the method at half price a bargain match that with the Mitchell Advocet 4000RD reel and you have a good set up for just over £70.00.

If you do buy don't forget use Elton's link as the site benefits. :thumbs:

I am fairly new to angling and have really only done float fishing so far. However a mate let me use his feeder rod recently and I like the idea of that kind of fishing. I am considering buying a feeder rod but have no idea which would be best for the price. My budget would probably be about £50 and an idea of a suitable reel would be good also. Thanks

I have used a John Wilson Avon rod for the last 3-4 years, it is a little more expensive but it is very versatile as you can use it at 11 or 13 feet long, it comes with 3 tips and a 1 1/4 tc top. I have used it for feeder, light method and float fishing .

Nice cork handle as well.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Ali,

If you use the Tacklebargins link on this site and look under feeder rods they still have the TFG power feeder kit.

Also very much worth a look is the Prologic feeder which is available up to medium/heavy ideal for the method at half price a bargain match that with the Mitchell Advocet 4000RD reel and you have a good set up for just over £70.00.

I took your advice and have bought the prologic feeder medium/heavy feeder rod and the mitchell reel. Are you able to suggest what line to use for this combo ?

Thanks so far

Ali

Ali,

I have used Elton's link and bought the Prologic medium/heavy feeder rod and Mitchell Avocet reel. Can anyone advise what line to use for this combo. Thanks for the advice so far.... I will probably be asking for advice of feeder rigs next ! I am off fishimg tomorrow with my waggler float rod but can't wait till the new gear arrives.

Ali

Guest Shots for fun

Hi Ali,

Choice of line , well that will depend on what your target fish are to be, but the rod and reel combination will handle from say 5lbs through to 10lbs, as your reel has a spare spool i would suggest that you start with 6lbs and 10lbs, this would allow you to have 4lbs and 5lbs hook lengths on the 6lbs and 8lbs hook lengths on the 10lbs, also you could fish straight through giving you five line diameter choices.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Hi Ali,

Choice of line , well that will depend on what your target fish are to be, but the rod and reel combination will handle from say 5lbs through to 10lbs, as your reel has a spare spool i would suggest that you start with 6lbs and 10lbs, this would allow you to have 4lbs and 5lbs hook lengths on the 6lbs and 8lbs hook lengths on the 10lbs, also you could fish straight through giving you five line diameter choices.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Thanks for all the help. But one more question - any idea of the right type of rig set up for the method feeder ? Easy to follow instructions would be good ! Thanks

Ali