Bag Limits for Devon?

I have read with concern the comments on this and other sites since Leon saw fit to publish

Personally I will be doing my best to encourage both the SFC and MFA to adopt a more proactive preventive stance, such as the recent local checks on both RSA's and commercial sector in respect of undersize fish, together with MFA checks on buyers. At the same time I believe that a local prosecution is well overdue on illegal RSA sales and purchase and will be encouraging them in that direction.

These are crucial times for a sustainable fishery for future generations of both anglers and commercial fishermen to enjoy. I would suggest to all that rather than continuing to foster ill- informed comments that seem to want to try to divide both factions, we should all be working more closely together to try to influence both DEFRA and the politicians.

Pressure on my personal time, means that I will not be entering into debate on this subject within this forum, albeit I will be active on the coal face. My apologies in advance to anyone who might wish me to do so!

Hi Sorry to see that you do not have a great deal of time to discuss these important issues, when you post something like this i feel that you must, as again the link you pose with the rsa and 'anglers, illegal non-licenced commercial' is too strong and unfounded. Your friend Mr Venmore makes the same mistake.Why do you think the majority of the rsa need proactivly checking, what will that acheive, apart from division. The rsa is not a faction although i agree both commercial and the rsa should work together, my concern with that is the likes of the nffo will tell the rsa to get stuffed. I note in your post there is no referance to commercial illegal activity or the amount of damage that it does to the stock in relation to the preceived amount of damage caused by these other illegals. Got any figures for us. Just how large is the problem.

Many thousands of families holiday down the west country every year. Myself included, for a long time, perhaps two or three times a year. Why should the likes of myself be lumped in with guys that you alledge to be the downfall of the fish stocks. Get it right. Make it abundantly clear. That is what i ask.

Again also you seem to appear to know who these illegals are, do something about it then, don't criminalise all of the rsa though with the fix or you might just lose the holiday traffic, do you want that. I have seen the sfc protection vessel in and around brixham, very impressive, how many times have you felt the need to give them a call when you have gone to your mark and seen all these 'illegals'as you say, day in and day out. If i was in your position that would be the first thing i would consider.

If you feel that Mr Venmore's article has been unfairly edited, please arrange for the origional transcript to be posted here for all to see and to make up our own minds.

Thank you Leon for providing us the newspaper posting as you saw fit.

Gill tagging is the way forward.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fourthly, to those that may doubt it, there is a huge problem in this area with alleged RSA's illegally selling their catch, not just bass, but pollack, cod and other species that are inevitably caught when wreck fishing and cannot readily be returned to the sea. In the case of bass (not necessarily those caught on the offshore wrecks, that do blow) the issue is clearly one of money. Boating is an expensive business and the temptation is always there to try to offset this.

This one item, i just have to comment on so please excuse me. I assume we are talking about Torbay, so: Can't be Torquay as the two main boats concentrate on the holiday traffic, unless the skippers are in on it.

Paignton, there is only one true wrecking boat there and as he concentrates on the five day holiday guys and his wife kindly puts the catch in the freezer to take home at the end of the week, both the punters and the family would have to be involved, na, can,t believe that. Simon has a notice on his boat, fish for sport, not profit. The other two boats are mainly inshore and also concentrate on the passing holiday traffic. So thats not viable.

Brixham, i have noticed that the only wrecking charter kiosk has now gone due to lack of use or retirement, not sure either way so it can't be brixham.

Dartmouth. Not sure how many charter boats there are but again one i do know, concentrates on the alderney trips, can't be that one.

Please remind me, how big is this problem as i am running out of ports and boats to consider. My way of thinking is that it can't be an alledged rsa problem. Unless someone knows better.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry/Leon

Its late. I was out at 5am this morning and will be tomorrow, so excuse the brief reply.

Leon , neither you, Chris V or myself are a million miles apart on this subject, but time does not permit the informed response that would take this issue further here. My personal opinion on bag limitation on RSA's should be clear from the first post. There are of course better times and places for us to be making our contribution and I know we all will continue to do so!

Barry, sorry, but from Kent you are a long way from the Devon problems and seem ill-informed, although I personally welcome your letter to the SFC, which should open some interesting debate. This is not an issue about charter boats or the many genuine RSA's that use them. I count many local skippers as my friends! I believe you normally fish with Simon Pedley when down here. He is a very good and well respected skipper. However there are quite a few private craft operating out of the ports you mention, that also frequent the channel wrecks, with some known to me as small as 23' or less going as far as the Channel Isles. Some of these are part of the problem. I will not waste time discussing the commercial quotas on pollack and cod in the commercial/RSA debate.

Today my partners and I visited a prolific mark off Dartmouth. We had to fulfil a customer's order for 30 bass and some mackerel, which we caught very quickly, returning a number of undersize fish as well. We then left that mark and spent the rest of the day as pleasure anglers exploring different areas some miles away, catching a number of species returning some and keeping a few for our personal consumption and that of our families. It was of no suprise to see several other boats on the bass mark, including one charter boat. Most of those boats were undoubtably genuine RSA's and I am sure they had a good time. Present though were at least 3 boats that have been there and on other similar marks on many occasions in the last few days/weeks/ months and even previous years. Perhaps you can explain what they are doing with the copious quantities of bass they catch and do not return? Their identities are known to the authorities and at some stage, once the evidence is accrued, if possible, I would hope to see a prosecution!

Needless to say, I recognise this impact on the fish stocks as probably minimal in relation to commercial pressure and I am a strong campaigner against the comparatively recent pair trawling for the prespawning shoals of bass in the Channel, that I regard as one of the greatest dangers to future sustainabilty. However it is an issue that divides both the commercial and RSA sector and even brings about division within the RSA sector itself. It requires solution. Goodnight

Barry/Leon

Its late. I was out at 5am this morning and will be tomorrow, so excuse the brief reply.

Leon , neither you, Chris V or myself are a million miles apart on this subject, but time does not permit the informed response that would take this issue further here. My personal opinion on bag limitation on RSA's should be clear from the first post. There are of course better times and places for us to be making our contribution and I know we all will continue to do so!

Barry, sorry, but from Kent you are a long way from the Devon problems and seem ill-informed, although I personally welcome your letter to the SFC, which should open some interesting debate. This is not an issue about charter boats or the many genuine RSA's that use them. I count many local skippers as my friends! I believe you normally fish with Simon Pedley when down here. He is a very good and well respected skipper. However there are quite a few private craft operating out of the ports you mention, that also frequent the channel wrecks, with some known to me as small as 23' or less going as far as the Channel Isles. Some of these are part of the problem. I will not waste time discussing the commercial quotas on pollack and cod in the commercial/RSA debate.

Today my partners and I visited a prolific mark off Dartmouth. We had to fulfil a customer's order for 30 bass and some mackerel, which we caught very quickly, returning a number of undersize fish as well. We then left that mark and spent the rest of the day as pleasure anglers exploring different areas some miles away, catching a number of species returning some and keeping a few for our personal consumption and that of our families. It was of no suprise to see several other boats on the bass mark, including one charter boat. Most of those boats were undoubtably genuine RSA's and I am sure they had a good time. Present though were at least 3 boats that have been there and on other similar marks on many occasions in the last few days/weeks/ months and even previous years. Perhaps you can explain what they are doing with the copious quantities of bass they catch and do not return? Their identities are known to the authorities and at some stage, once the evidence is accrued, if possible, I would hope to see a prosecution!

Needless to say, I recognise this impact on the fish stocks as probably minimal in relation to commercial pressure and I am a strong campaigner against the comparatively recent pair trawling for the prespawning shoals of bass in the Channel, that I regard as one of the greatest dangers to future sustainabilty. However it is an issue that divides both the commercial and RSA sector and even brings about division within the RSA sector itself. It requires solution. Goodnight

Thanks for that, as an ill informed guy and with your help we have now narrowed the issue away from the rsa charter boat industry down to a smaller local issue. I wish all of the people who fire the first shots make it abundantly clear just what the issue is in the first place, it would save a lot of griefe and perhaps miss-interpretation. For the guys who are well informed, that is not alot to ask for surly. Good luck in catching the cheats out who are selling into the commercial market, can't abide them. I also agree your comments with the bass breeding stock bad times ahead i think.

We have a problem with UNLICENCED COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN.

Haven't heard a good argument against gill tagging yet.

Edited by barry luxton

This was meant to be my reply to Chris's article.

http://shorterlink.co.uk/12932

In fact, restricting recreational catch while allowing unrestricted commercial fishing of bass is a reversal of the Net Benefits report recommendation.

Hello Leon

Please find any reference to any mention of "restricting recreational catch"!!

I fish to live and live to fish.

In fact, restricting recreational catch while allowing unrestricted commercial fishing of bass is a reversal of the Net Benefits report recommendation.

Hello Leon

Welcome Back Wurzel, got any photo's. :)

Hello Leon

Hi wurzel

Have you just been lip hooked lol

Who? Where, When?

That's the trouble, we don't have any Angling Reps.

Sea anglers sit at home, at keyboards, on piers, on the beach and whinge !

That's all they do.

Listen to yourself ..... the 'EU And Their commercial fishermen', DEFRA, SFCs' and now "Angling Reps are all to eager to give away everything in return for nothing ...".

Glenn, you are an 'Angling Rep' .... you're perfect; you represent the ineffectual majority amongst us.

You've got a dozen or twenty dedicated sea anglers who stand up for their own views about the dire position sea angling is in. Reps they're not.

They don't represent your views, because you don't want them to.

They, however, stand up to Defra, commercial organisations, SFCs when necessary. They speak as they see it and for the good of their sea angling.

What do they achieve?

Not a lot! What do you expect?

You whinge and bleat at everything and everyone who dares to speak up about our sport/pastime. Coastal Policy Division at Defra laughs at us every time we want a piece of information or make a suggestion. They know who has the 'clout' and it ain't you or me.

Now go back to your desk and rip everything I have said to bits; then ask yourself -

"If I'm so discontent with what's being done/not done, what am I gonna do about it?"

(Don't let me answer that!)

I'm lucky, I've had 50 years of glorious fishing and soon my days will be up.

But, fer koofs sake, I worry about who and how much you'll be paying in 20 years for an afternoon's mullet fishing in a private, disused, converted marina!!!

:cc_surrender:

I am lucky too I have enjoyed some great angling over the years and just tonight I enjoyed some more. I caught some cod in a competition, I drove 35 miles to weigh them in, I had a pint with the lads in the pub and I came home again, I want to be able to continue to do this without other people having anything to do with it.

You may call it whinging and bleating HA thats up to you. I am simply making sure that the other side of the story is put across rather than the story that all anglers are behind the NFSA, SACN, BASS etc. Lots of anglers didn't want the BMP, many concerns have been expressed. Many people dont want anything to do with sea angling placed in the Marine Bill, many people dont want the RSA strategy and many many people dont want Angling reps going to government and saying they represent every angler in the land when clearly they don't and no-one asked them to, we have a right to have our voices heard too. As I see it the BMP has led to DEFRA asking the SFC's to consider bringing in bag limits. Its time you all wised up and realised the damage your causing before you get to far in and balls everything up for people who just want to go about thier own business and catch a few fish and go for a pint.

Oh, wouldn't that be nice ....

How insular can you get?

Exactly the kind of appeasement viewpoint which the 'sheep' thought a good idea in 1938!

Haven't you seen what has happened over the past 50 years with uncontrolled commercial exploitation of fish stocks??????

Government (funded by all kinds of profits, big business and taxes) isn't going to ensure adequate fish stocks for you for the future and the EFP is affected by Defra like the bite of a dead sheep!

I hope your cod provide sport for your children from the impoundment provided by Butlins/Warners/Disney in 2020, 'cos there'll be booger all wild fish left in the sea by then.

You lot remind me of the proverbial ....

threemonkeyscaption.jpg

:wallbash: