Lea Zander

Unimexsol

I've suffered with dropped runs so much that I've scaled down traces (15lb soft wire) and hooks (size 10 trebles) for zander, in conjunction with making everything as resistence free as possible. Whether it actually makes much difference I'm not sure, but it makes sense to me. I didn't do it because I read it in a mag either :)

I agree with Mark about livies though. I'd never go zandering without them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

they are present in the lea, but not in huge numbers, hence they can be difficult to find, i found out about some once, probably still there, but i had too many repeat captures so i moved on.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Mark, thats an interesting suggestion for him not to scale down from pike gear as this is usually a factor of people reading too much crap by people who only chase schoolies. I know of your zander credentials and I think your a good all rounder, but for someone fishing a venue with an unknown head of zander, wouldnt you think it wise to scale down? add to this the sporting aspect of zander fishing, Ive had doubles on my pike gear and its hardly been sporting, I would go for 2lb rods, 10-20lb braid free running rigs with size 8 semibarbed trebles or size 6 doubles coupled with with 4 oz liveys and deads. This way if he doesnt land on the zander, hes got a chance of both pike and perch as bonus fish.

zedhead,

its an argument/ point of view that i talk about a lot and i will put it to you this way. scaling down your gear wont make the zander fight any harder, it will howeer increase your chances of losing them through hook pulls (as softer rods are less likely to set the hooks), or breakage (10lb braid is never in my opinion suitable) or leaving gear in any decent pike that you hook.

ninety nine times out of 100 the reason for missed or dropped runs when zandering is down to over enthusuastic schoolies. after a few years of doing it you just get used to it and accept it.

one more thig as regards the zander and its fighting abilities. in shallow water i have found without much exception that they dont really fight. in deep water they do. i have had some fights out of zander in deep water that are every bit the equal of pike, sometimes better, i personally dont find pike gear over gunned in that situation.

the way i look at it, what are you actually going to gain by scaling down? you are increasing your chances of losing fish and increasing your chances of catchig very small zeds, which is fine if you want to do that, but it does get a tad wearing when its 3am in the middle of winter and **** down, and you are about to land your sixth 1-2lb zander of the night.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

zedhead,

its an argument/ point of view that i talk about a lot and i will put it to you this way. scaling down your gear wont make the zander fight any harder, it will howeer increase your chances of losing them through hook pulls (as softer rods are less likely to set the hooks), or breakage (10lb braid is never in my opinion suitable) or leaving gear in any decent pike that you hook.

ninety nine times out of 100 the reason for missed or dropped runs when zandering is down to over enthusuastic schoolies. after a few years of doing it you just get used to it and accept it.

one more thig as regards the zander and its fighting abilities. in shallow water i have found without much exception that they dont really fight. in deep water they do. i have had some fights out of zander in deep water that are every bit the equal of pike, sometimes better, i personally dont find pike gear over gunned in that situation.

the way i look at it, what are you actually going to gain by scaling down? you are increasing your chances of losing fish and increasing your chances of catchig very small zeds, which is fine if you want to do that, but it does get a tad wearing when its 3am in the middle of winter and **** down, and you are about to land your sixth 1-2lb zander of the night.

one final point. if you were fishing for big chub, tench, barbel etc and your bait was getting pecked at by small fish, would you scale that bait down to catch the little ones? of course you wouldnt, so why do it when zandering????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Edited by mark barrett

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk