Quick question about river fishing

fruitloopy

I went to a spot on the River Nene by a weir pool, someone else was fishing the fast flowing water so I setup my light feeder rod with a running leger 2oz grippa lead, size 6 hook and 3 dendra worms on the hook, tails nipped off.

I cast into a swirly bit of water (sorry if this description is silly) and tightened up.

I dont have much experience of rivers but I really want to do better...plus I SOOOO want a barbel. I see 12 year old girls catching double figure barbel in Angling Times mag so why cant I?

Anyway...Once tightened up I notice that my quiver tip varies from slowly bending round and straightening back up again to occasional knocks.

I was guessing the bending round slowly thing could be reeds or other underwater debris floating into and getting stuck on the line, then peeling off. I would hope the occasional knocks are line bites but probably debris again.

I did catch a small perch and that bite seamed to be quite different but am I missing bites? What should I be looking for? A complete whack round? Or will that only happen with a hair rigged self hooking setup?

I'll be back there tonight to fish into darkness.

I went to a spot on the River Nene by a weir pool, someone else was fishing the fast flowing water so I setup my light feeder rod with a running leger 2oz grippa lead, size 6 hook and 3 dendra worms on the hook, tails nipped off.

I cast into a swirly bit of water (sorry if this description is silly) and tightened up.

I dont have much experience of rivers but I really want to do better...plus I SOOOO want a barbel. I see 12 year old girls catching double figure barbel in Angling Times mag so why cant I?

Anyway...Once tightened up I notice that my quiver tip varies from slowly bending round and straightening back up again to occasional knocks.

I was guessing the bending round slowly thing could be reeds or other underwater debris floating into and getting stuck on the line, then peeling off. I would hope the occasional knocks are line bites but probably debris again.

I did catch a small perch and that bite seamed to be quite different but am I missing bites? What should I be looking for? A complete whack round? Or will that only happen with a hair rigged self hooking setup?

the nodding in the rod could be the rivers current and it could be leaves swirling around.

If a fish takes the bait your quivertip should shoot around but make your own judgements. The more fishing you do the better and more wise you will get!

So good luck and catch that double figure carp.(hopefully bigger than the 12 year old girl !!lol)

Cyn ;)

Cyn

Guest tigger

Amongst all the movement of your quiver tip a bite should stand out a mile. I was feeder fishing yesterday and had the same as you tip, bending over then coming back as either a leaf/ debrie slid off or the flow slackend off a bit and so on. When I got bite though it was a much quicker and sharper pull or pluck on the tip. I was catching very sneaky Dace and Roach who seemed to take delight in pulling the end of my maggots tormenting me by twanging my quiver tip. If your fishing for Barbel first of all ....are there Barbel in the river your fishing ? If so then Personally I would use a bolt/semi bolt rig and use meat, corn or pellet. I suppose worms should be good as there a natural bait but I've always had my best results on the others. Also remember that Barbel will feed better after dark especially on pressured water.

Guest Rabbit

Hi Fruit

From what I can gather first of you said you used your light ledger rod and used a 2 oz lead, not normally the best combination, but without more detail I could be wrong.If the lead is not pinned to the bottom the tip will dance around and of course debris will result in a slow pull.

Try to stay out of the swirly water if you want to catch barbel, they do prefer glides. especially below weirs. Ii the river is in flood fish slacks or the near bank undercut, this way you can use a lighter lead. You will be amazed at the quality of fish to be found at your feet. I use smelly meat for barbel and chub, especially in the colder months, just bury a size 8 hook into a 1'' cube of meat, loose feed a few freebies down the side and wait for the pull round. I hold my rod when fishing this way with the tip almost touching the water, bury the line and the fish wont feel it and spook.

Remember your watercraft and you will catch, go get that barbel.

As I said I went again last night, I caught nothing this time but I did increase my knowledge a little. I started of with worms but kept getting pestered by small fish so I put some peperami on a hair rig. I only have the one feeder rod with a quiver tip and it states on the rod a 2oz weight is the max recommended so I'm just fishing with what I have at the moment. It is holding bottom though.

While watching the tip I saw plenty of times that, on a still water I would have struck, but I sat and waited for a fast whip round. A couple of times I had a quick pull but by the time I lifted up the rod it had already bounced back again. As Tigger said it could have been some sneaky dace.

This spot was recommended as a good barbel swim in Angling Times a few weeks ago so I am fairly confident there's some in there. I'll use the tips mentioned by Rabbit when I get there again...hopefully Saturday.

Cheers. :D

Hi FruitLoopy,

If I am looking for Barbel in a wier that I have never fished before then I would look for features such as:

1. Weir sills that may be undercut: Some Weirs (usually the older ones) have a nice undercut below the white water and the water below the surface is not as rough as it is on the surface, If you can drop a bait right against the sill with a small lead it will sometimes move into the undercut or close to it. (Modern weirs with concrete runnoffs don't seem to have these undercuts)

2. Along creases at the sides of Weirs where the faster water washes past slower water. Barbel often lay along the crease moving out into the faster water to grab food before moving back to the slower side again.

3. Behind underwater obstructions: Sometimes you can spot a place on the surface where the current is turbulent but the water near it is fast but a bit more steady. This may be caused by some sort of obstruction; There may be a Barbel lurking behind it waiting for food to wash past.

4. Near the tail end of the weir where the bed becomes a little shallower: This is often a good spot to try for Barbel and other fish. The water shallows where the sand/silt/debris/food etc. seems to settle more and there are often nice glides between streamer weed.

5. Other anglers: I observe where they are fishing, what tackle they are using and what they catch and if you can talk to them without being a nuisance then all the better.

Thats how I would approach a Weir that I haven't fished before for Barbel anyway. I never just chuck a bait out without spending some time looking for features.

Good luck & Tight Lines.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I won't cover likely spots as others have already made the best suggestions, but in terms of tackle and technique:

If you stick with your current quivertip set-up with the same (or a lighter, if you want the bait to "trot" the swim - a technique I'd reccommend at this time of year) weight, rather than rely on the quivertip, feel the line for bites - your fingers can detect the differences between the underwater environment (stones, plants, changes in depth etc) and a bite much better than a rod tip but, normally, a bite from a big barbel will be fairly decisive. I personally use an avon rod with this technique and, whilst I've not yet latched into a double, it's caught me plenty of bearded wonders.

My other observation is your bait choice - I find worms tend to attract more chub and smaller silver fish than barbel. As others have said, meats are a better choice, but again a good target for chub. Have you thought about trying boilies or, dare I suggest, the dreaded pellet? These days more double figure barbel are caught on these baits than any other, so maybe have some to hand to see if they change your fortunes.

Good luck!