Rod License.

Catnfiddled

Hi all,

I've just purchsed my Rod License online. I see that despite paying full price and them insisting that I input a start date the licenxe expires on 31st March 2008!! :wallbash:

What a con that is! As there doesn't seem to be any "season" these days why doesn't the lisence run for a full 12 months from purchase?

I've sent a mail to complain. Lets see what they come up with.

You are right of course Catnfiddled, the EA are (bless 'em) a little behind the times and still run the scheme like a club subscription.

I don't think any responsible angler objects to the fee, but anyone should be entitled to a full years worth of licensed fishing once they've paid up.

Maybe they'll wise-up eventually.

Our chief weapon is surprise

What a con that is! As there doesn't seem to be any "season" these days why doesn't the lisence run for a full 12 months from purchase?

Where's the con? It does exactly what it says, runs from date of purchase to the end of the

financial year. If you don't like it, complain to the agency.

Pete

Where's the con? It does exactly what it says, runs from date of purchase to the end of the

financial year. If you don't like it, complain to the agency.

Pete

Nice one pete. If you read the post again, you'll see that I've already done that!! :oops:

The point is you pay for 12 months. If somebody buys one next February, it'll cost @£23 for less than two months cause it'll end on March 31st 2008 come what may.

It can't be that hard for these things to run for 12 months from the purchase date. That's what happens with car insurance, mot, tv license etc, etc. Gov' organisations, just like the enviro agency.

Nice one pete. If you read the post again, you'll see that I've already done that!! :oops:

The point is you pay for 12 months. If somebody buys one next February, it'll cost @£23 for less than two months cause it'll end on March 31st 2008 come what may.

It can't be that hard for these things to run for 12 months from the purchase date. That's what happens with car insurance, mot, tv license etc, etc. Gov' organisations, just like the enviro agency.

.....then there is the arguement for river fishermen to only pay 3/4 of the fee because they can't fish for 3 months of the year !!!

I wonder how many novices and beginners are either put off fishing due to the cost of buying a full license for a months fishing or wing it and keep their fingers crossed for the time before the season starts and they get a years worth out of a years license fee?

There's more to going fishing than catching fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Answer from Enviro Agency

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the dates that a rod licence expires..

We offer Full and Concessionary licences which run from 1st April to 31st March on an annual cycle (much the same as most Angling Club memberships). This system keeps costs to a minimum and therefore keeps licence duties as low as possible.

Treasury rules dictate that income from rod licences must be spent within the financial year so this method makes best use of our income. It would be very difficult for us to plan our work if our major sales period were to occur around Christmas, for example.

By operating on a Financial Year basis, we can remind all anglers to renew their licences through publicity campaigns in March through to June. If all licences were issued on a rolling basis, we would have to operate a system of reminders for every individual licence holder which would result in extra costs that would have to be passed on to anglers.

We do offer one and eight-day licences for anglers who don't fish regularly.

For regular anglers this will be a problem only in the first year you fish, thereafter (if you are a regular angler) you will get 12 months worth.

The current set up of licences was arrived at after a public consultation exercise in 1994 (including our Fisheries Advisory Committees) and approval by the then MAFF Minister, and there has been no call to make any changes since then. The system appears to satisfy the vast majority of anglers.

I hope this is very useful for you. Good luck in all your endeavours.

If you have any other queries please call us and we will be happy to help.

Kind Regards,

Name Witheld by me

Customer Service Advisor

National Customer Contact Centre

ENVIRONMENT AGENCY

enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

08708 506 506

fish north of the border it wont cost you for a rod licence , with the exception of 1 or 2 rivers that flow over the border in to England ie: the tweed

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif