Fishing on a motorcycle

Del_R

Mine's a ZRX1200. But you're right, I can't see a way the two hobbie scan mix. It's a shame. Would be great to combine a great ride with a great fishing trip.

Derek

Del. No chance on a ZRX, I thought you might have had a "Ewan and Charlie" special BMW and were looking for something to stick in all those paniers!

The only chance of combining the two is Bike early, back for car, then fish pm or vice versa.

It seems there are quite a lot of bikers who fish (or vice versa). Most of my mates do and my 7 yr old nephew prefers his new found hobby of fishing more than going Moto X on his own KTM 50.

My brother loves it cause fishing is loads cheaper!

hopefully you don't have a rod holdal that likes to fly ,mine insists on speeds over 30mph to go horizontal in an effort to become a wing ,no matter how i carry it it does it not only is it annoying it then makes you as wide as a car which stops you riding like a bike

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There used to be a club called the "Telefishers" who all rode bikes and fished. Obviously, from the name, they all used telescopic rods, but they travelled all over the place to fish, always by bike.

I've caried rods on a bike, I've strapped them almost vertically, but sloping a bit backwards. One strap to the passenger footrest, another to a rack, carrying a tackle bag/box. One of the most annoying things is, what do you do with your crash helmet, leather jacket, bike boots etc when you get there? Very little of the stuff i wear on the bike is usable to fish in, and vice-versa.

Where are you Del? I can't fish at the moment, due to my broken hip, but as soon as I can, I'll be back on the bikes as well as the bank! Perhaps we could meet up.

By the way, when Chris Yates used to fish Redmire and a lot of other places, he travelled most of the time (from the home counties to Ross on Wye) on a Brockhouse "Corgi" motorcycle. A Corgi was a 50cc fold-up bike, which was a civilian version of a "Wellbike" which was dropped with paratroopers during the 2nd world war. It had 9" wheels and not a lot of poke, but he managed it!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

If the riding position is fairly upright it's easy to carry your gear. When I had a 400/4 I found that the rucksack and rod holdall were fine, I used to take right hand corners a bit slower so that the holdall didn't ground. The holdall was more stable if it had the weight of a brolly in it. My current bike is a Monster and I'd happily use that but for the fact my lurcher comes along now!

My gear including landing net and a telescopic rod all fit nicely in a rucksack (OK, the landing net and rod do stick out the top) so travelling on a motorcycle/bicycle is simple. One of the advantages of being a travelling lure fisherman.

MC

I'm not averse to a spot of lure fishing myself. Maybe I'll have to look into the telescopic rod world.

And to answer Dunk's question, I'm in Gloucester. Always happy to meet up on the bank or on the road, but generally the decision to go fishing or riding tends to be made at short notice (such as midnight Friday, when I decided to set the alarm for 5 and have an early session at Severnstoke. What a wast eof a good lie-in that was!). Hope the hip gets better rapidly!

Cheers,

Del

If the riding position is fairly upright it's easy to carry your gear. When I had a 400/4 I found that the rucksack and rod holdall were fine, I used to take right hand corners a bit slower so that the holdall didn't ground. The holdall was more stable if it had the weight of a brolly in it. My current bike is a Monster and I'd happily use that but for the fact my lurcher comes along now!

Obviously no room for fishing tackle AND the lurcher!!!

This thread has brought back memories of when I always used the bike for transport to my fishing destinations.

I had a scrape with a police car in Christchurch, his fault but I was told to follow a police car back to the station. They kept me waiting for over an hour, inferring that I could well be prosecuted, I think it was to cover their mate and ensure that I didn't press charges. I had to sit in the public area, in my waders with all my gear. A very embarrassed eighteen year old.

I used to carry half a dozen loaves for groundbait in a binbag on the rack. As I was passing Ashley Wood Golf Course I saw in the mirror loads of slices of bread flying through the air as the bag had gone into the rear wheel. A bit of a distraction for the early morning golfers.

On the whole, it was enjoyable to combine the two passions but I don't miss the freezing cold hands on my way pike fishing on frosty mornings

Well, not strictly fishing on a motorcycle, but does anybody use a bike to get to their venue? I qauite fancy the idea of combining a couple of passions but so far haven't been able to figure out safe and robust ways of carrying landing nets and longer rods.

Derek

Hello Derik

I often go fishing on me bike, a bandit 1200 and have no problems carrying what I need, that is the secret carry only what you need , not a tackle shop.

Plus

I’ve just had a holiday of a life time travelling across Alaska on a hired Suzuki V strom , the wife and I covered 2400 miles in 14 days , I basically fished my way across Alaska catching several of two sorts of salmon and further north arctic grayling , I had two 5 piece travel rods a spinning and a fly rod both clipped to a rucksack that carried all the lures, flies and two reels , every thing was kept to a minimum but amply sufficient for the fishing I wanted to do , plus I could easily carry every thing on my back when exploring the many rivers that took my fancy , mind you it would have took a life time to explore every river I fancied.

Edited by wurzel

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel your trip sounds amazing. I for one would be interested in seeing some pictures that I could gaze longingly at. Alaska has to be every outdoor'sy type persons dream destination. To do it on a bike must of been that dream realised...

My first experience with biking (if you can call it that) and fishing was on a Honda 'Crunchie' 50cc moped before moving on to a 50cc Vespa. The Vespa had a little rack at the back which proved useful. I used to jam my netbag behind my calfs or alternatively sit on it, my huge seatbox would be slung over my shoulder, so that it would perch on the rack and the rod holdall would be bolt upright with the bottom resting on the footrest.

How I even managed to pull away with all that lot on board I don't know. How I never crashed..

The local rural constabulary and I used to have a game of cat and mouse round the back roads, often with me having to pull into the woods and hide - to avoid a sound telling off.

One lesson I did learn very quickly involving the keys. Walking out onto a planked jetty sticking out into the River Yare, I heard a tinkle and turned around to see a little set of Crunchie keys slipping between the planks into a 15ft deep, pea soupy river, never to be seen again.. With the Vespa, I purchased one of those cork balls that they often have on boat keys to avoid a similar fate......