fishing pools near Alsager (cheshire)

Juniorfisherman

Hi and welcome to AnglersNet.

What sort of fishing are you looking for and what sort of gear do you favour?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi and welcome to AN.

We have a member who lives near you, Davy R. He will be able to fill you in on local fisheries, if he spots this.

John.

PS. I'll PM him to look out for your thread.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi

Welcome to AN.

On the assumption that you are looking for a stillwater coarse fishery, I can recommend the following:

Home Farm, Alsager - I've fished it myself, and it's friendly and has enough interest to keep you working.

Walnut Tree, Alsager - Don't know it myself - Where's DavyR when you need him????

Border Fisheries, Balterley - Not been there myself, but have read decent reports of it.

Browning Cudmore isn't too far away either, but it's not my cup of tea.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

...Errrm, sorry, here now - been down in South Wales ministering to the elderly Mother. Thanks for the PM, John! As Alan says, Home Farm is a good 'un (down the end of Hall Drive, under the railway bridge and turn left if you don't know it - it's not signposted from the main road). You don't tend to see poles used on the speci pool (which has big carp and cats), but there's also a match pool which has plenty of carp up to double figures, plus roach, skimmers, tench and chub.

Walnut Tree Farm off the Barthomley link road (the place that does the quad biking) has 3 pools (Specimen, Marl Pool, and Walnut Tree) and is good for carp.

There are also two pools (Oakhanger Meres) just by the road beyond the motorway bridge on the way to Crewe. They're run by the brother of the farmer at Walnut Tree and are good for carp and roach.

All these are day ticket waters. Border Fisheries has a good reputation, but is no longer available on a day ticket as Bay Malton AC have taken over the whole complex (they previously had just half of it). Never fished Browning Cudmore, but from what I've heard, it's a bit too much of a "commercial" to appeal. There are some good fish (perch especially) in the Trent & Mersey and Macclesfield canals, but the boats are a nightmare and a lot of it is owned by clubs.

River fishing depends on being able to travel at least 12 miles (Dane at Middlewich) or further, about 20-30 miles, to the Dove, Penk, Sow or Weaver and there is little or no day ticket fishing so it means joining a club.

Whereabouts have you tried fishing so far?

• 1 year later...

The two pools at oakhanger you say one is a match pool and one is a specimen pool.

Is the specimen pool any good?

How big are the fish in there?

Which lake is the specimen lake? The big one at the back or the small one at the entrance?

I have fished on the smaller one before for an evening but had no joy.

Any more information would be great :)

There are also two pools (Oakhanger Meres) just by the road beyond the motorway bridge on the way to Crewe. They're run by the brother of the farmer at Walnut Tree and are good for carp and roach.

Through other sources i have learnt that the two pools are a match pool and a specimen pool. Is this true?

If true which pool is which?

How big to the fish go up to?

any info will be great. :)