N12 Lendal Kinetic ?

izzetafox

I am considering upgrading my paddle.

For six months I have been muddling through with a Decathlon special at £25, having been purchased when I knew no better.

I am thinking about a low end carbon shafted paddle max £150.

I am 6ft and have a P13.

Most of my time is spent on rivers but I get about 4 weeks a year by the sea. From research here and elsewhere it seems as if you guys like the N12 lendal kinetic.

Checking their web site it looks as if the model I should look for is the N12 Lendal Kinetic Explorer Plus. Is this the right one?

I am leaning towards a 220cm version, again is this about right for my height and kayak?

I know this subject has been done to death already but £130ish is a considered purchase for me and I would appreciate the opinion of more experienced paddlers before I part with my hard on dosh.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

Lighter paddles do make all the difference but I think its still best to try before you buy (if possible). I was used to the TNP £30 heavy things, then I bought a 240 Ainsworth N103 and a 220 Carlisle Simply Magic for £55 each.

I bought the 240 going by the "curl your fingers over the top" rule, but really its too long for me, and the blades are "funny", but I'm really pleased with the Simply Magic and my wife likes it too.

If you are spending £150 you need to make sure you are happy with it first, and you can't tell just by looking at it in the shop mate!

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

I have just bought a LENDAL ARCHIPELAGO with a carbon shaft feels very light paid £128

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I am considering upgrading my paddle.

For six months I have been muddling through with a Decathlon special at £25, having been purchased when I knew no better.

I am thinking about a low end carbon shafted paddle max £150.

I am 6ft and have a P13.

Most of my time is spent on rivers but I get about 4 weeks a year by the sea. From research here and elsewhere it seems as if you guys like the N12 lendal kinetic.

Checking their web site it looks as if the model I should look for is the N12 Lendal Kinetic Explorer Plus. Is this the right one?

I am leaning towards a 220cm version, again is this about right for my height and kayak?

I know this subject has been done to death already but £130ish is a considered purchase for me and I would appreciate the opinion of more experienced paddlers before I part with my hard on dosh.

You can always take it back if you are not happy with it! the sale of goods act allows for this and to be honest any "good" seller will not risk your future purchases by saying "sorry no returns" I think those days are gone now with so much competition being available!. Ask at where you are going to buy from (even on line) and I am sure you will get this answer.

Lighter paddles definitely DO make a diference! I had a lovely wooden paddle (still have it) and it is a beautiful paddle but I wouldn't switch back to it after a lighter one!. Mine is aluminium shaft and poly blades but decent quality. For me carbon is for "racers" and I can't really see the point for fishing uses, maybe very long tours but thats about it. I think a lot of it is "mine is carbon" syndrome and if that appeals to you then fair do's.

Good luck mate, all the best.........Dave

SDD~~~~ :sun:

You can always take it back if you are not happy with it! the sale of goods act allows for this and to be honest any "good" seller will not risk your future purchases by saying "sorry no returns" I think those days are gone now with so much competition being available!. Ask at where you are going to buy from (even on line) and I am sure you will get this answer.

Lighter paddles definitely DO make a diference! I had a lovely wooden paddle (still have it) and it is a beautiful paddle but I wouldn't switch back to it after a lighter one!. Mine is aluminium shaft and poly blades but decent quality. For me carbon is for "racers" and I can't really see the point for fishing uses, maybe very long tours but thats about it. I think a lot of it is "mine is carbon" syndrome and if that appeals to you then fair do's.

Good luck mate, all the best.........Dave

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Spot on there David :clap3::clap3::clap3::thumbs:

ATB

Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

Well on a trial basis I have got a Robson Driver. I handled it, and assorted Lendals and Werners and it just 'felt' right if you know what I mean. It is very light and the blades seem strong. I like the ovalisation being in the carbon as opposed to put under shrink tubing. I went for the 220cm.

I was also told that factory bonded blades have more durable joints that shop made up sets, especially for anglers who apparently are know for not being the most gentle of paddle handlers.

The price was right too.

I shall try it on the water at the weekend.

Thanks for the advice gents.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

ckf-1.png

Well on a trial basis I have got a Robson Driver. I handled it, and assorted Lendals and Werners and it just 'felt' right if you know what I mean. It is very light and the blades seem strong. I like the ovalisation being in the carbon as opposed to put under shrink tubing. I went for the 220cm.

I was also told that factory bonded blades have more durable joints that shop made up sets, especially for anglers who apparently are know for not being the most gentle of paddle handlers.

The price was right too.

I shall try it on the water at the weekend.

Thanks for the advice gents.

i have the N12 lendal kinetic touring ,find its right for me .the one i got with the yak was like a scaffold pole in comparision . keep us posted on the robson driver .

:thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Well today I did a 4 mile trip on the Wreake and the Grand Union Canal. First trip using the Robson Driver.

First thing I have to say is just how light it was in the hand. I was amazed!

At 220cm it was just 5cm longer that my cheapo and to be honest I did not really notice a difference.

As soon as I started paddling I noticed a massive difference, each stroke seemed more efficient for less effort. It just felt easier. To my amateur eye there seemed to be more of a vortex around the paddle and the noise of the stroke was different.

I was paddling a route I have done several times and I know that I was quicker over a given distance.

I think the major difference I have noticed , besides the 30% loss in weight, is that my stroke rate increased, but my work rate didn't seem to have done. I am no physicist and cannot explain it but that's my experience. :g:

The ovalisation of the shaft definitely sat well in my hands with less discomfort in the crook of my thumb at the end of the trip than normal.

I cannot compare it with the Lendal or anything other than the Decathlon cheapo but I can say I liked it and am pleased with it and it's not going back. At 870gms it comes in about 50gms lighter than the Kinetic and I paid the same price.

With the nicely transferred white glass fibre blade and the sun glinting off the carbon weave it looks good too ( for what that matters ).

The blades seem strong I shoved off from the bank a few times after giving water to barges on some narrow bits and I felt sure they would take some stick.

Would I recommend the Robson Driver? Yes I would, I like it and am happy with it. It suits me but hey I am a novice and perhaps missing some obvious negative points. The one thing I keep thinking though is:'This just seems too easy'. It's carbon shafts only for me now. :lol:

Also had a strange sighting on the Wreake stretch of the journey, I heard some rustling noises as I went past an ancient weeping willow, when I crept under the branches I saw a large weasel like creature about two foot long. Now I have seen stoats and weasels and this was too big. It was jet black and it looked really fluffy. I racked my brains and the only thing I could come up with was mink. On returning to my launch point I spoke with a canal dweller and he said there IS a population of mink on the river and they play havoc with one or two cats that live locally. That was something you don't see every day. :P

Edited by izzetafox

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

ckf-1.png