Critique & Comment.

MrWiggly

You seem to have gone back a step. Try changing you Metering Mode to multi segment. For the above you use spot which probably wasn't a good idea due to the reflective nature of the petals and background.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

took this fishing shot today.

the colours seem a bit odd, i've checked all the settings on the camera and the white balance was set for flash.

i did use fill in flash for this pic as it was very dull, could it be because it was outside??

a wee bit C+C would be appreciated

les

tonysling.jpg

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

You have set up in Manual white balance mode lol. So you must have used the wrong setting. You can usually get away with using auto unless the light is very warm (orange) or cold (blue).

Here is your picture with the correct colour though ;) I will delete this after 24hrs

fishfix.jpg

Edited by J.K

You have set up in Manual white balance mode lol. So you must have used the wrong setting. You can usually get away with using auto unless the light is very warm (orange) or cold (blue).

Here is your picture with the correct colour though ;) I will delete this after 24hrs

fishfix.jpg

hi JK,

what setting was that then??

i'm going to have to hide my camera from my son as he mucks about with it and changes the setting, a right pain in the arse he is :giveup:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Guest Shots for fun
Here are all three shots together, i think there is an improvement with my little point and shot what do you think.

IMG_0080.jpg

Focussetmacro.jpg

astatwo.jpg

Gave up with the point and shot as its limited in any type of manual mode, tried with my Fuji and this is what i got.

Asta4.jpg

This first one i was trying to see if i could bring out the brush strokes and yet still see a clear or sharp picture

CC015.jpg

On the next two i was trying to use two different mediums, the painting and the plant from outdoors to see if i could get a good composition and yet still see the detail of the flat painting and the living plant. I'm doing this to try and learn the different settings on the camera and what comprises a good picture.

CC006.jpg

CC007.jpg

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

OK Dad. The first painting shot is great. Good colours and sharp like you were going for. The second is not bad either. Both painting and the plant are in focus. This is because the focal length you've set and the distance that you are from the objects being shot works. The third shot shows that the "F" number that you've gone with wasnt high enough. The plant is starting to blur but the picture is still sharp. Thats because you've got the same F stop as the other shot. To get both things into focus once you've moved in closer would require a smaller aperture (higher F number). So maybe selecting F8 or so would be better, though shutter speed would drop (something else to think about). Here's a link for helping understand the focal length stuff.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Great to see you're having fun with the new camera.

Cheers..........Mick.

DOH, I didnt realise that Tracy was still logged in.

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Hi,

Just my opinion here so here it goes:

First picture:

The first image looks to be ok. Though not knowing what it looks like in real life, I would say it has an orange colour cast over it. Yes I realize its an autumn day in the picture lol. Have attached what I think looks more pleasing to my eye. May be totally wrong and if it is, ignore this ;)

fixpainting.jpg

Second picture:

Just doesn't work. Blown highlights (mass of white) on the left, harsh shadows and wrong colour balance. Again looks very orange. Using the flash is not ideal in these situation unless you are able to reflect or or make it softer.

Last picture:

Composition wise not bad and could see it working with a little more thought. But again blown highlights, harsh shadows and very orange lol. You could try a lower F number like F12 to try and get both object in focus but I doubt this would work. You have have to take two images, one with the front in focus and one with the back in focus and put them together using a graphics program.

Here is what it would look like with correct colours. Instead of the orange flash you now have a white flash, in this case the picture looks worse however it shows that there was a definite orange cast to the picture.

fixpainting2.jpg

G'day Joel,

In the second and third photos i was standing with my back to the window, and so to try and eliminate shadows i had a light positioned just to the left of the plant, which is probably the cause of the mass of light.

The first photo does have an orange cast to it.

Mike i had a look at the D.O.F site and it does explain o lot but just gives me more to think about. haha

Thanks guys for your time and comments. :thumbs:

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/