Critique & Comment.

MrWiggly

Snatcher, stars...good, very :)

Sunset, I can't see how you could have done any better, I have tried similar shots with the same sort of results.

Cliff, your third shot may look better with part of the flower and stalk protruding across the picture....just may :)

But I like your thinking though.

Den

on having a good look i think you're right.

Thanks for the comment.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shots for fun

Hi All,

I was really looking forward to the start of this thread and i have had some very good comments, however i am disappointed that the photo men have not posted at all, the likes of MR W , Steve Randalls and of course winners of the competitions.

Come on guys do not be shy lets have it.

PS, A big thank you to the members that have posted and helped.

Edited by Shots for fun

• 2 weeks later...

I would like comments please ,really tried hard to get a good evening shot of the harbour but thiswas the best i could get ,what should i have done ,I tried all the settings on the camera,night scenery,night portrait which is what this is i think,even tried starry sky,tips required please..I know you will all say switch off the auto button,BUT then what do I do...

• ile size: 60106 bytes
  • File date: 2007:10:06 16:48:51
  • Camera make: Panasonic
  • Camera model: DMC-FZ50
  • Date/Time: 2007:10:02 20:43:35
  • Resolution: 800 x 451
  • Flash used: Yes (auto, red eye reduction mode)
  • Focal length: 9.2mm (35mm equivalent: 44mm)
  • Exposure time: 1.000 s
  • Aperture: f/3.2
  • ISO equiv.: 400
  • Exposure bias: -1.33
  • Whitebalance: Auto
  • Light Source: Flash
  • Metering Mode: center weight
  • Exposure: program (auto)

P1010338.jpg

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

I would like comments please ,really tried hard to get a good evening shot of the harbour but thiswas the best i could get ,what should i have done ,I tried all the settings on the camera,night scenery,night portrait which is what this is i think,even tried starry sky,tips required please..I know you will all say switch off the auto button,BUT then what do I do...
  • ile size: 60106 bytes
  • File date: 2007:10:06 16:48:51
  • Camera make: Panasonic
  • Camera model: DMC-FZ50
  • Date/Time: 2007:10:02 20:43:35
  • Resolution: 800 x 451
  • Flash used: Yes (auto, red eye reduction mode)
  • Focal length: 9.2mm (35mm equivalent: 44mm)
  • Exposure time: 1.000 s
  • Aperture: f/3.2
  • ISO equiv.: 400
  • Exposure bias: -1.33
  • Whitebalance: Auto
  • Light Source: Flash
  • Metering Mode: center weight
  • Exposure: program (auto)

P1010338.jpg

Judy - was that picture taken using a tripod? If not, you will have difficulty, because exposure times in low light will simply mean that you get motion blur - the exposure time on EXIF was 1 second - impossible to get a sharp picture unless you have hands, arms and body of granite!

I'd suggest losing the flash and using a tripod, on self timer (so that there is no movement of the camera from pressing the shutter) and playing around with exposure times, if you have a manual mode on your camera.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Judy - was that picture taken using a tripod? If not, you will have difficulty, because exposure times in low light will simply mean that you get motion blur - the exposure time on EXIF was 1 second - impossible to get a sharp picture unless you have hands, arms and body of granite!

I'd suggest losing the flash and using a tripod, on self timer (so that there is no movement of the camera from pressing the shutter) and playing around with exposure times, if you have a manual mode on your camera.

Aswell as the above I would try to use a lower ISO number to get rid of the noise along with a longer exposure (shutter speed).

Night shots are extreamly hard to get right. Take as many pictures as you can using different exposures. When you get home you should have at least one keeper :)

Another way of doing it is to expose for the different lights on seperate images and them put them all together using a program like photmatix.

Have fun and please share your results :D

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Judy, great advice from westie & JK, but just to add to it, there is a neat little trick I use when photographing the moon with longish exposures & you want to eliminate as much movement as you can. Set the camera on the tripod & instead of physically pressing the shutter, use the timer set at about 5secs which removes any shaky finger prodding! You could of course say buy a remote you cheapskate & you'd probably be right :)

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

For night shots a tripod is essential ...... or some other way to remove any kind of camera shake ... the trick is no shake, and not over exposing the lights. Usually taking a number of shots at different exposure times and looking back at them you get an idea of what exposure time will work best .............. longer the exposure ... the brighter/more dazzling the lights will be, but also the more detail will be shown on buildings,rocks,items etc etc ......... its just finding the exposure that works best for you.

The moon - if you are looking to get some detail in it (ie see the craters etc) ... you dont want to have to long a shutter speed, as a rule of thumb for moon shots on a clear night, I use ISO 100, F11 and 1/125.

moon3.jpg

The majority of nice night shots of a town all lit up with a nice detailed moon on it you see on it are 99% of the time doctored ... the scene (ie the town) is taken an exposure of around 1 seconds + depending on the lighting .... and then the photo is taken at an exposure of around 1/125 and then cropped and pasted into the dark sky above the town. For Snatchers pretty Moon shot, I would of done something like that (cheated) :) .... taking two shots ... one at settings to get detail from the moon, and then the next shot slightly longer to get the moon illuminating the sea and the rocks etc .......... then just crop the moon and paste it over the moon on the more illuminated shot ....... so you have a nice moon lit photo, with a nice detailed sky :)

Other times for longer exposures is when there is next to no light .... for example this castle one below I took a number of years ago, this was about a 1 minute expsoure ... to the naked eye, I could just make out the castle and the trees, and the lighting behind it is from builings behind .... you notice a smokey white line going across the bottom of the shot, thats a seagull flying by!!!!!!!!!!! just the effect of the long exposure ... other problem with the longer exposure with this shot is the stars are all small wee lines due to movement.

stornoway3.jpg

So my two pence worth on longer night shots, a steady camera ... and once you have your shot framed as you want it .... try various exposure times (shutter speeds) and see what comes out best.

Gillies

Edited by Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• 1 month later...

i thought i would put a few pics (that i am happy enough with to share) up for some thoughts.

the first is of my brother being driven around Brands Hatch taken in December '06

dean.jpg

Nikon D80

Stock 18-135mm lens

135mm focal length

iso 250

f5.6

Shutter Priority

it was a large crop from the original sadly because of where i was standing and the zoom on my lens not being longer. in an ideal world a much better position and a better zoom would be nice. sorry about the border, its the only version i have available at the mo!

The second is from a week in Devon earlier this year.

DSC_1656.jpg

this is just a rezised version of the original 10mp version.

Nikon D80

Stock 18-135mm lens

112mm focal length

iso 100

f5.6

Aperture priority

this i experimented with flipping to put the infocus flowers on the right instead of the left to follow the "you look left to right" rule. i tihnk it worked a bit but this is the original. i really need to get out mroe with my camera!

Love the racing car shot Darren,nice and sharp :)

Any comments on these two!!

Gardens1.jpg

I always seem to struggle getting decent garden shots

This one is of the keeper hand feeding cod

Handfeedingcod.jpg

The action was so quick a tripod would have been tricky - I think!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy