Musky Fishing

severus

A good friend of mine chartered a boat last month on Lake St Clair between Michigan and Ontario to fish for muskellunge, a large cousin to pike. I do believe I'm going to do the same next summer, after reading his thread on the outing today. Good Lord, what a beautiful fish. And ferocious. I've never caught a Fish of a Thousand Casts in my life, so it's time I tried.

The lures they use to catch the fish are enormous, and expensive, about $30 USD each. This is generally a catch and release fishery, btw.

Picture_0214.jpg

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Sounds like fun Ken. Go for it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A good friend of mine chartered a boat last month on Lake St Clair between Michigan and Ontario to fish for muskellunge, a large cousin to pike. I do believe I'm going to do the same next summer, after reading his thread on the outing today. Good Lord, what a beautiful fish. And ferocious. I've never caught a Fish of a Thousand Casts in my life, so it's time I tried.

The lures they use to catch the fish are enormous, and expensive, about $30 USD each. This is generally a catch and release fishery, btw.

Lucky man :rolleyes:

I did some fishing for Muskies on Sturgeon Lake in Ontario a few years ago with no luck. Had some nice walleye and loads of perch though as well as a few pumpkinseed. Must go back some day and have a go for the monster carp in there - they look to go to 30+lb but the locals aren't interested in them :huh:

A business associate has had muskies to 60+lb from there so they must be catchable.

Will

p.s. Just looked at the report thread - beautiful fish and I think I see where I was going wrong on Sturgeon lake - my lures were just too small (biggest I used was 6", a monster to me but these look to be 10"+)

Edited by Will Wilkinson

Will - it may not have been completely due to lure size. They are not called, "The fish of 1000 casts", for nothing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Will - it may not have been completely due to lure size. They are not called, "The fish of 1000 casts", for nothing.

Newt - I understand they're very hard to catch, but I'd have hoped for at least one in 5 days of fishing for them! I reckon I must have made at least 2000 casts on the lure rod that week. The best bit was catching some 8oz-1lb perch on a borrowed 2 weight fly outfit though, first time I've used such light fly gear as the lightest easily available in the UK's 4 weight. Even these fairly small perch went like rockets on the light tackle :thumbs:

Will

Well, here's hoping you can get back and put one or three of those beasties in the net.

Must go back some day and have a go for the monster carp in there - they look to go to 30+lb but the locals aren't interested in them :huh:

Will

You don't know the half of it. I've seen some real monsters like that cruising the shallows in my area, but almost no one targets them. The same holds true for catfish. It's a pity too, because they fight like hell.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain