Spare spool

Catnfiddled

When it seems that new tackle these days is really cheap. Old tackle seems to cost a fortune!

I've been looking for spare spools for my Mitchell 300A's. I bid on one on ebay for £4.00. It went for £9.50!! Ruddy collectors!!

At todays prices you can almost get a Carbon Spaceranger Carp rod and Baitrunner Longcast 3000 Reel for that much.

As one of the "Ruddy Collectors" myself, I do take slight exception to your phrase.

Had you started a post called "has anyone got a decent spare spool for a Mitchell 300 at a reasonable price" I may have been tempted to send you one.

However as you don't like collectors, I can't bring myself to do it.

Edited by Dunk Fairley

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

As one of the "Ruddy Collectors" myself, I do take slight exception to your phrase.

Had you started a post called "has anyone got a decent spare spool for a Mitchell 300 at a reasonable price" I may have been tempted to send you one.

However as you don't like collectors, I can't bring myself to do it.

dunk. No offense intended and I hope none (seriously) taken. :thumbs:

I've just returned to fishing after a 20 year break and can't find my spare spools. Despite all the latest gizmo's in reel tech, I can't see any reason to keep and use my mitchells as I loved them then and still do. I've moved house 3 times in that period so the chance of finding my four stray spools is unlikely.

I'm trying to bid for the reels also as for about £40 you can get a good condition 300A with a couple of spare spools.

Hope your collection is a good one. :D

PM your address and I'll have a rake around. Do you want shallow, medium or deep? I don't think I have many spool cases though, I use mine all the time. It's a "using them" type of collection.

That being said, there are thousands of Mitchell 300s around though. If I was looking for one, I wouldn't now look on ebay.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

When it seems that new tackle these days is really cheap. Old tackle seems to cost a fortune!

I've been looking for spare spools for my Mitchell 300A's. I bid on one on ebay for £4.00. It went for £9.50!! Ruddy collectors!!

At todays prices you can almost get a Carbon Spaceranger Carp rod and Baitrunner Longcast 3000 Reel for that much.

have a 300A in a thousand bits, if there is anything you want just pm me. but why anyone would still want to fish with these antiques I don't know. :unsure:

Edited by Rabbit

I'm having similar difficulties finding spare spools for my Shimano reels. I rang Shimano UK and was told as their a discontinued they don't stock the spools anymore.

What number of spools would people opt for given the choice ?

The Shimanos came with 3. What would be the best range of lines to spool them up with for general course fishing both, float and feeder for everything from small Perch to 5lb Carp?

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

The Shimanos came with 3. What would be the best range of lines to spool them up with for general course fishing both, float and feeder for everything from small Perch to 5lb Carp?

I'd go for 3lb (for hooklengths 1-2.5lb) for float fishing, 6lb (hooklengths 4-5lb) for the feeder and 12lb (hooklengths 6-10lb) for the odd occasion when you might need to "hook and hold" next to dense lilies or other snags.

I have some NEW 300's!! If you want any (No spare spools though!!) I have been selling at £20 a pop! BUT need to be quick as I am heading to UK tomorrow!! Otherwise it will be a two week wait. PLUS postage!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

have a 300A in a thousand bits, if there is anything you want just pm me. but why anyone would still want to fish with these antiques I don't know. :unsure:

Thanks Rabbit, looking for spare spools only.

I just like the reels and they do the job perfectly for me. I know there has been plenty of progress, but I suppose it begs the question. What do newer reels do that these can't, baitrunning excepted?