My first Big Bream

dbrennan

I have only been coarse fishing for two years now and so far My biggest catch was a 2lb Perch but yesterday I landed a 12lb 2oz Bream on 6lb mainline 3lb hooklink to a size 16 barbless hook.

I am totally delighted especially since I had no idea there were fish that size in the pond but am amazed at how easy it was to land it didnt put up a fight at all.

Are all large Bream so easy to bank?

I have only been coarse fishing for two years now and so far My biggest catch was a 2lb Perch but yesterday I landed a 12lb 2oz Bream on 6lb mainline 3lb hooklink to a size 16 barbless hook.

I am totally delighted especially since I had no idea there were fish that size in the pond but am amazed at how easy it was to land it didnt put up a fight at all.

Are all large Bream so easy to bank?

Thats a big Bream by anyones standards, you done well to get it in on a 3lb bottom. Well done! That clears my pb from The River Yare by exactly 2lb's.

Bream are never going to win the best fighter accolade but a river Bream is a slightly different proposition to those from stillwaters, they've got a bit of get up and go about them. The big Bream from the Broadland tidal rivers have quite a bit of fight in them, aided and abetted though by a powerful flow.

The big Roach/Bream that you get in numbers on The Broads, go like hell.

Well done again, great fish!

As has been pointed out, stillwater bream are renowned for their lack of fight. However, every now and then you get one that forgets what it is and puts up a scrap.

On the other hand, a bream of that size is one of the hardest fish to catch. So many congratulations!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I believe we have witnessed the birth a committed Bream Angler for life!! Long may that grin continue...

Congratulations - that is a hell of a Bream, most of us will never catch a Bream that big ever!

I don't deliberately fish for bream but the odd one or two I catch on the Thames fight a lot harder (due to the flow of course) than their stillwater bretheren. I think, wrongly, that specimen Bream angling isn't as 'sexy' as carp or barbel (how many 'Bream World' magazines are out there?)but a double figure bream is a fish of a lifetime! I remember watching a John Wilson special once when he float fished a lake from a boat and caught the most staggerring bag of double figure bream ever - I was amazed!

The only thing I detest with respect to old breamus is the stink in the car from a 'breamy' landing net (Never leave your breamy net in the car overnight in the summer - when you open the door the next day you may need hospital treatment or nursing for a few hours).

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries