Fish Deaths.

MrWiggly

Hi All ..

I have a large mature pond that has suddenly experienced a massive death rate among my larger fish.

As well as several "fancy" Koi, the deaths include Mirror and Leather Carp.

All the fish were in the 8-14lb bracket, and were in excellent condition prior to the outbreak.

A total loss of eighteen fish over a period of 10 days. The fish showing no outward sign of disease or distress. No fungus/Finrot/Gill Infection/Scale Loss/Eye Cloud or bloating. The fish were eating well up three or four days before the outbreak.

A large number of smaller fish, mainly "Fancy" Goldfish, are fine .. They have sailed through the period and are eating well.

The pond itself appears immaculate .. Crystal-clear water with abundant plant growth. The water is well filtered and aereated. No "Blooms" or algae growth. Chemical levels test confirm all OK.

Anybody else had this problem ??

Wiggly.

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Have you put anything in it in the last few weeks? i.e. fish, plants, etc?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Nope ... All well established ...

Hi there

I had a similar problem a few years ago and a friend told me it happened to him during "stormy" weather and suggested this sucked oxygen out of the water, killing fish that needed high oxygen levels (carp, koy etc) I added an oxygenator pump and stones (outdoor type) and never had a problem since!. Worth a try as they are inexpensive on the ol ebay (£10 ish).

Good luck mate

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Hi SDD ..

Pond has a waterfall, and a side pump blasting in oxygenated water .. and masses of surface area. Can't see oxygen loss being a problem.

Just had a walk around the pond edges, and spotted masses of small fry in there.

So .. I have tiny fish, and mid-size fish, but all my big ones have rolled over !! :unsure::unsure:

Bl**dy Odd !! :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by MrWiggly

Hi SDD ..

Pond has a waterfall, and a side pump blasting in oxygenated water .. and masses of surface area. Can't see oxygen loss being a problem.

Just had a walk around the pond edges, and spotted masses of small fry in there.

So .. I have tiny fish, and mid-size fish, but all my big ones have rolled over !! :unsure::unsure:

Bl**dy Odd !! :wallbash::wallbash:

Bloomin mystery that one mate :( I hope you find the problem or it simply doesn't happen again!

Best of luck

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Could it have been the food? Maybe (maybe) it is something eaten by the bigger fish, stuff to big for the tiddlers/fry?

I had a total wipeout early this year after introducing some frogs spawn from a friends pond...his koi were fine.

Den.

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hi Den ..

Can't see the food being a problem.

I feed a "Mix" of large and small stuff that I have mixed and used for years with no affects before.

A mate up the road has a large stock of fish, some of them from my pond. He is using the same mix as me (even "borrowed" some of mine). and he ain't lost a single fish !! :blink:

Put it down to experience, I suppose ... :unsure::schmoll:

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

Trouble is, it would be nice to learn from that experience, I bet. Like you, I'd be gutted if that happened in my pond :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE