Grayling Fishing River Test Timsbury

Tony U

thats why i'm taking my jw avon quiver so its just a quick job to break it down change tips and set up again ,but if your match rods tip is fine/soft enough then just use the same rod ,i sometmes use my float rods i simply remove the float of the line (slip it out of its rubber bands) then its a ledger rig :o and if more weight is needed i have some clip links with a short length of line on to add shot to clip it onto the line after the last static shot .most float rods wll manage as a tempary quivertip. if its hard to see use some white plumbers ptfe tape to rap around the tip [50p from all good diy shops] i should have some with me on the day.in case i get lazy

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm considering taking a match rod and centrepin and no other rods or reels. I can't decide whether to take a tip rod as well. I want to do some trotting for grayling, but the temptation to quivertip some bread flake for roach is there too.

Take it!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Last time I was down there, I carted a feeder rod around with me all day, unused!

Might leave one in the car this time and go back for it if I get bored with catching grayling on a stick float. :huh:

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ah, but if you see a huuge roach roll you don't want to trek back to your car for another rod or break down your float rod! I'll definitely be taking a float rod and a light tip rod with me. Even with a net, bag and chair, that's not too much to carry around comfortably.

I'm debating whether to also take a barbel rod for the carp in the slow carrier... although that might be too much :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Trouble is, if I take it, I'll be tempted to use it. It's not actually carrying it round I object to, rather the risk of getting sidetracked. On the other hand, those big roach are an awfully inviting opportunity...

Trouble is, if I take it, I'll be tempted to use it. It's not actually carrying it round I object to, rather the risk of getting sidetracked. On the other hand, those big roach are an awfully inviting opportunity...

Maybe, but you might find the day slips past while you endlessly trot a float. If you don't object to carrying it I'd take it but not set it up unless you've decided to have a crack at the roach :)

Edited by Anderoo

If it's clear and you can spot the roach shoals in the carrier just down from the top pool, try fishing the lift method in an area where you've a roach patrol route. Single shot, with a small waggler. The shot should be just enough to sink the float (If using a 2bb waggler, use 3bb). have a 4"-5" hooklink, from shot to hook, and set it 5" overdepth. Feed very little, just half a dozen maggots around the hook, making sure that your hook is amongst them when they are on the bottom.

Cast from about a rod length up or down stream to where you want the bait. Wind in slowly, until the float half cocks.

The Roach seem to spook off moving baits when the water's clear, and I don't think they'll like a feeder or lead for the same reason.

Have a look around the area upstream of the small bridge across the carrier, near the bankside trees, that's where I saw them and had success last time I was there. Be patient and if you see someone else doing it, don't go bowling up to them to ask how they're getting on!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

As I've not been to Timsbury before, I'm not entirely sure where you're allowed to fish, where the carrier(s) are in relation to the main river, or even where everyone meets up etc etc.

Here's a map detailing my current knowledge / guesses - any corrections, pointers etc much appreciated!

post-10047-1194518425_thumb.jpg

Thanks

David

Guest Shots for fun
If it's clear and you can spot the roach shoals in the carrier just down from the top pool, try fishing the lift method in an area where you've a roach patrol route. Single shot, with a small waggler. The shot should be just enough to sink the float (If using a 2bb waggler, use 3bb). have a 4"-5" hooklink, from shot to hook, and set it 5" overdepth. Feed very little, just half a dozen maggots around the hook, making sure that your hook is amongst them when they are on the bottom.

Cast from about a rod length up or down stream to where you want the bait. Wind in slowly, until the float half cocks.

The Roach seem to spook off moving baits when the water's clear, and I don't think they'll like a feeder or lead for the same reason.

Have a look around the area upstream of the small bridge across the carrier, near the bankside trees, that's where I saw them and had success last time I was there. Be patient and if you see someone else doing it, don't go bowling up to them to ask how they're getting on!

Fantastic advice. Nothing else to say.

As I've not been to Timsbury before, I'm not entirely sure where you're allowed to fish, where the carrier(s) are in relation to the main river, or even where everyone meets up etc etc.

Here's a map detailing my current knowledge / guesses - any corrections, pointers etc much

Thanks

David

The Main River and Car Park are correctly marked.

As you leave the car park towards the main river, you come immediately to the 'pool' at the head of the slow carrier, and can fish the slow carrier down to where it ends.

Parallel to the slow carrier is the fast carrier which you reach by walking down along the slow carrier a way, then move further towards the river, coming to a pool at the head of the fast carrier.

Again you can fish the fast carrier (the yellow line) down the map to where it joins the main river, and for a very short distance above the pool.

The main river can be fished all the way down to the Road Bridge where the river deepens.

I've found that when there are a lot of people moving about, the main river starts off fishing well in the morning, but the fish tend to move towards the opposite bank (which we can't fish) later in the day.

If the weather is reasonably mild, and the river clear, then the shallows tend to fish well, and the deeps badly, though a period of very cold weather, and/or the river moving through very fast and coloured means the reverse, where a better tactic is to groundbait a deep swim and wait for the fish to begin feeding.

At the pool just by the car park, there is a map of where you can and cannot fish, and the rules of the fishery, plus a barrel for dipping nets.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust