Grayling Fishing River Test Timsbury

Tony U

The Main River and Car Park are correctly marked.

As you leave the car park towards the main river, you come immediately to the 'pool' at the head of the slow carrier, and can fish the slow carrier down to where it ends.

Parallel to the slow carrier is the fast carrier which you reach by walking down along the slow carrier a way, then move further towards the river, coming to a pool at the head of the fast carrier.

Again you can fish the fast carrier (the yellow line) down the map to where it joins the main river, and for a very short distance above the pool.

The main river can be fished all the way down to the Road Bridge where the river deepens.

I've found that when there are a lot of people moving about, the main river starts off fishing well in the morning, but the fish tend to move towards the opposite bank (which we can't fish) later in the day.

If the weather is reasonably mild, and the river clear, then the shallows tend to fish well, and the deeps badly, though a period of very cold weather, and/or the river moving through very fast and coloured means the reverse, where a better tactic is to groundbait a deep swim and wait for the fish to begin feeding.

At the pool just by the car park, there is a map of where you can and cannot fish, and the rules of the fishery, plus a barrel for dipping nets.

Thanks very much Leon. Excellent information. Does help to have a picture in your head before you get there.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last year I used a fixed-spool reel and so was able to fish a decent way across the river - this year I have my pin, so my swim choice will be severely limited :D I wonder how many others will be looking for a lovely near bank glide...

To the fast carrier! :lol:

PS have you seen the number of views for this topic? :o

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes I saw that the other day. Pretty good when there's only 20 people going.

I suspect I'll be using my fixed spool, with an eye to getting you pin folk to give me some tips before I get myself one for Christmas.

Last year I used a fixed-spool reel and so was able to fish a decent way across the river - this year I have my pin, so my swim choice will be severely limited :D I wonder how many others will be looking for a lovely near bank glide...

To the fast carrier! :lol:

I'll be taking a match rod & pin, light tip rod and am debating whether to take my Barbel rod in case any of the carp are around. So I guess I'll be one of the ones looking for those nice near bank glides :)

Planning to take maggot, caster and bread. Any other bait suggestions welcome.

Really looking forward to it - next Sunday can't come fast enough :D

Will

well ,i'll have my sheffield ,match aerial , a abu 507 ,506 2x14ft rods ,1x13ft rod 1xjw avon quiver anyone is welcome to have a go with one of my centrepins or closed faced reels ,

bait wise ; corn ,maggots ,bread and maybe wheat (if i can be bothered to boil (stew) some up.

there are some good carp in the main river and carrier ! so might be worth a try ?

the bigest problem with timsbury is finding time to try every option you have :fishing:

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Leon,

At the pool just by the car park, there is a map of where you can and cannot fish, and the rules of the fishery, plus a barrel for dipping nets.

Thanks for the information. It's a great help to someone like me who hasn't visited the fishery before. BTW - Can you clarify any of the rules though? Barbless hooks? Unhooking mats? Bivvies? Bait boats? (only joking with the last two!!) :lol::lol:

Steve C.

Leon,

Thanks for the information. It's a great help to someone like me who hasn't visited the fishery before. BTW - Can you clarify any of the rules though? Barbless hooks? Unhooking mats? Bivvies? Bait boats? (only joking with the last two!!) :lol::lol:

Steve C.

Hi Steve,

I nicked this from a post from last years fishin. I think it was KAYC's post (nicked from a previous post by Leon). :D

Timsbury Rules of the River

barbless hooks only

all landing nets to be dipped (container just behind the car park)

no keep nets

all fish to be returned

maximum two rods

no braids as mainline or rigs

no plugs or spinners less than 6“

no fish to be removed from the fishery

no dogs, animals or radios allowed

no firearms or weapons to be taken onto the fishery

all rods shall be equipped with a suitable landing net

no wading or swimming

no boats to taken onto the river

all litter and unused bait must be taken home

payment for permits constitute acceptance of the fishery rules and breaking these rules will mean being asked to leave the fishery without refund

no responsibility can be taken by the management for any circumstances affecting the fishing which is beyond their control

to the extent permissible by law, all liability for loss or damage is expressly excluded

the courts of England have exclusive jurisdiction

Environment Agency fishing licence required

Andy