Fishing in Hadleigh

Scatman

Hi,

I am after some information for a mate who has recently moved up to Hadleigh. He has been telling me about this river that he has been walking along and has seen evidence of fishing along it. He would like to have a go himself but is unsure of how to get permission.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am after some information for a mate who has recently moved up to Hadleigh. He has been telling me about this river that he has been walking along and has seen evidence of fishing along it. He would like to have a go himself but is unsure of how to get permission.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

If that's Hadleigh, Suffolk then I'd guess the river is the Brett. According to the EA it's controlled by Hadleigh and District AS, contact for day tickets is given as Mr K B Ward, 72a George Street, Hadleigh, Ipswich.

Maybe someone more local can provide more info?

HTH

Will

Doh - just saw the second part of the title - it is the Brett, therefore must be Hadleigh in Suffolk (there's also a Hadleigh in Essex).

Edited by Will Wilkinson

the Brett is controlled by Hadleigh angling club - thats about all I know about it

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I beleive hadleigh angling club restrict membership to hadleigh residents and have several good stillwaters.

The river brett is more of a winter fishery but some area's look greta for stalking chubb.

The centre of hadleigh can bo good for roach and perch although when we have interclub matches ther, as always, the fish seem to hide.

john

There are some very good roach and chub in it. Like all rivers around here it is badly affected by a lack of flow and the EA tend to drop all the sluices with the merest hint of rain in the winter letting all the water out. It is a small intimate river that will throw up some good fishing once you have got to know it.

As Waveney one has said

Weather forecast for weekend shows heavy rain and EA throw open gates. Rain does not arrive so river is empty.

Just before bank holiday or weekend we have heavy rain river floods, gates opened, river settles down, goes very low but EA will not close gates as they will not pay overtime. If this happens at xmas it can almost run dry.

So much for conservation when it comes to money.

John

Thanks for all your replies on this. I have passed on the info to my mate and he is hoping to give it a go ASAP.

As he has never fished a river before (and neither have I) he is a little unsure as to the best places to fish.

Can anyone recommend anywhere along the river as a starting point?

Thanks again.

Like John Weddup, I have only fished there on inter club matches so I don't know the river very well. The other problem with Hadleigh is that I believe there are no tackle shops there. The nearest is in Sudbury I believe and I don't suppose that George at Sudbury Tackle would know a lot about it either. Might be worth giving him a ring though.