Other field sports

Guest J.Iddon

rabbit, hunting with dogs hasen't been banned only the end has ,you can hunt with hounds so long as the quarry is disposed of by shooting it ,whether its towards awaiting guns or sent to ground so long as the fox is shot no laws are broken ,another rabbit blinkered post.

and a vast amount of people don't give a toss how their meats produced so long as they don't see how its done.

i'd rather have dogs killing animals or shooting than snares or poison any day ,and believe me if hunting with dogs stopped tomorrow animals will still die whether you like it or not.

pop down to my pond and we might come across a rabbit with mixy ,prefer that to an quick end in the jaws of a dog or a bullet from a gun?

i'm sure those seeking "approval" will frequent forums with like minded people of both sides of the argument ,probably in the least posting those pictures on a forum not dedicated to like minded people opens eyes that wouldn't think about frequenting those forums ,no bad thing it works both ways as we have seen here and so long as reasonable debate is posted about it it harms no-one ,you dont have to look if you don't want to but you cant judge if you don't.

angling in reality depends on the thrill of the hunt and the fishes struggle trying to escape (that fish fought like a tiger etc) the marked difference in the case of animals is most die at the end of it not knowing its "sport" only a basic built in survival process ,in fish they go through the exact same response but we chuck them back in so it can be repeated whenever we want it to! which is the most sporting? the animal who gets away who within seconds go back to doing whatever it was before but be more wary in future or angling where the odds are much more on our side for our sport ? and our quarry held in ponds or rivers for our convenience and technology at our disposal to make it even easier to catch them?.

we care for our fish but for pretty strange reasons, our fun ,had fish not been a "quarry" then most would have been polluted out of existence long ago.how many non anglers go "oooh look a fluffy rabbit AAAHH" but totaly show no affection for slimy fish? most couldn't care less about them.so whilst fish go through the exact same response as those "terrified" rabbits they are left to exist ,hunting and fishing are intertwined far more than you realise ,we don't much anymore eat freshwater fish so the masses wouldnt give a toss if they all disapeared ,their value lies mostly to anglers and their hunting instinct.

the only difference is some hunt on the bankside others hunt on the land ,but both are nothing more than hunting all the same.i could ofcourse catch plenty of fish using a net or dynamite but ofcourse it wouldn't be "sporting" even hunting has closely set rules just as rabbiting or fox hunting does ,make it too easy and the sport goes out of it give the quarry no chance of getting away and the funs gone .Take away the fun and just exterminate them is next and if you want to exterminate them poison raises its head.

whilst some don't like hunting with dogs it provides a service and both parties gain out of it, the land owner and the hunter ,remove the hunter the landowner loses his control over the animals the hunter provides so eradicates them all they have no benefit to him from then on.

completely stop all forms of hunting then foxes disappear as foxes did in ww1 and 2 when the huntsmen were sent to exterminate human vermin the landowners used all methods to kill vermin so much so foxes had to be reimported from scotland to bump up the stocks of remaining ones .those lovely foxes we see are here because of huntsman not nature!

"huntsmen" you know those fat geezers on horsies that go tally ho people from towns despise :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I don't hunt with dogs and never have but I don't have a problem with those who do.

What I do have a problem with is the rank hypocrisy of those who say what I do must be acceptable because I do it, but what anyone else wants to do should be banned, because I don't like it.

This is a field sports forum whether you like it or not and I have been a lifelong supporter and follower of field sports of all sorts, including fishing, both for the pot and catch and release.

I enjoy it and gain pleasure from it. It is why I do it

I don't pretend anything else <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hunting rabbits, rats with one or more dogs is leagal, putting a terrier to ground to flush a fox to a waiting gun where game birds are present is legal, chasing a hare, mouse, or fox with one or more dogs is ileagal.

Just so we know my previous post is perfectly legit and legal, farmers have a responsibillity to DEFRA to control rabbits, which i glady help them to do, 6 rabbits will eat the same as one sheep in a day, so if a feild holds 100 rabitts thats the same as roughly 16-17 sheep on it, so they must be controlled, personally i dont want to rid the countryside of rabbits but if i can help control them to an acceptable number i am happy with that.

Edited by thurso angler

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Hello Josh,

Not gonna comment about hunting because I don't see any difference between anything killing anything for anything other than survival, including fishing, but as I eat meat and fish I will not be a hypocrite.

But as a ferret owner whose intention was only ever to have it as a pet, I was wondering if you see your ferrets as pets or friends, or the dog for that matter.

My ferret has given me so much pleasure and entertainment, even though he bites me and draws blood every chance he gets. He just got the snip so I'm hoping his demeaner will settle somewhat. But the greatest pleasure I get is from walking him and being stopped by almost every person I come across, most esp by elderly people whose faces light up when they see little Farken, recalling memories of 'rabbiting' when they were kids. It's like they haven't seen a ferret in 50 years and some of them are surprised by me having him as a much loved pet, and while the idea of 'rabbiting' disturbs me a little, I have been curious about how people who keep ferrets for that purpose, relate to their ferrets when they are not working.

Does it make them vicious? I have been told not to feed my ferret raw meat, and that is why he bites, and people have told me they feed their ferrets live mice and chickens which I certainly couldn't do, but I just think they are fascinating animals, smart, funny and such personalities. They deserve to live in the house and be loved as a member of the family. Although my ferret goes nuts when I take him outside, he loves his walks and rolling around in the grass. I read that they don't recognise individual people until they are a year old but my ferret spends every waking moment with me. I also read that they get lost easily and can't survive 3 days on their own, so was delighted when he accidentally got one night at only 6 months of age and we found him curled up asleep on the front doormat the next morning.

Anyway, was just wondering how you relate to your ferrets and are they vicious?

Cheers,

Tracy.

post-8004-1189677424_thumb.jpg

post-8004-1189677459_thumb.jpg

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Hunting rabbits, rats with one or more dogs is leagal, putting a terrier to ground to flush a fox to a waiting gun where game birds are present is legal, chasing a hare, mouse, or fox with one or more dogs is ileagal.

Just so we know my previous post is perfectly legit and legal, farmers have a responsibillity to DEFRA to control rabbits, which i glady help them to do, 6 rabbits will eat the same as one sheep in a day, so if a feild holds 100 rabitts thats the same as roughly 16-17 sheep on it, so they must be controlled, personally i dont want to rid the countryside of rabbits but if i can help control them to an acceptable number i am happy with that.

your wrong sorry so long as the animal is chased to a awaiting gun or in some cases a bird of prey its completely ligitimate ,no laws are without loop holes and they will be exploited all the time they exist :)

the all encompassing part is the fate of the animal, shooting ok ,getting killed by birds ok ,hounds no!

you dont flush a fox from underground you send in terriers to contain it then shoot it ,if it escapes its shot by shotgun the hounds are held back.

its a compromise as most laws are ,you can course hares but so long as the hare is shot its ok ,nothing unlawfull about flushing animals or birds from cover other wise all the beaters on shoots would be arrested if they used fido to flush gamebirds from cover or even labs used to return shot birds.

the wording in the laws look pretty concrete but in reality looking at them theres glaring holes in them.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

your wrong sorry so long as the animal is chased to a awaiting gun or in some cases a bird of prey its completely ligitimate ,no laws are without loop holes and they will be exploited all the time they exist :)

the all encompassing part is the fate of the animal, shooting ok ,getting killed by birds ok ,hounds no!

you dont flush a fox from underground you send in terriers to contain it then shoot it ,if it escapes its shot by shotgun the hounds are held back.

its a compromise as most laws are ,you can course hares but so long as the hare is shot its ok ,nothing unlawfull about flushing animals or birds from cover other wise all the beaters on shoots would be arrested if they used fido to flush gamebirds from cover or even labs used to return shot birds

Yes chesters your right, i was just trying to simplify it, of course its a silly law which can easily be broken legally. :rolleyes:

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

"Forza Dons"

Hello Josh,

Not gonna comment about hunting because I don't see any difference between anything killing anything for anything other than survival, including fishing, but as I eat meat and fish I will not be a hypocrite.

But as a ferret owner whose intention was only ever to have it as a pet, I was wondering if you see your ferrets as pets or friends, or the dog for that matter.

My ferret has given me so much pleasure and entertainment, even though he bites me and draws blood every chance he gets. He just got the snip so I'm hoping his demeaner will settle somewhat. But the greatest pleasure I get is from walking him and being stopped by almost every person I come across, most esp by elderly people whose faces light up when they see little Farken, recalling memories of 'rabbiting' when they were kids. It's like they haven't seen a ferret in 50 years and some of them are surprised by me having him as a much loved pet, and while the idea of 'rabbiting' disturbs me a little, I have been curious about how people who keep ferrets for that purpose, relate to their ferrets when they are not working.

Does it make them vicious? I have been told not to feed my ferret raw meat, and that is why he bites, and people have told me they feed their ferrets live mice and chickens which I certainly couldn't do, but I just think they are fascinating animals, smart, funny and such personalities. They deserve to live in the house and be loved as a member of the family. Although my ferret goes nuts when I take him outside, he loves his walks and rolling around in the grass. I read that they don't recognise individual people until they are a year old but my ferret spends every waking moment with me. I also read that they get lost easily and can't survive 3 days on their own, so was delighted when he accidentally got one night at only 6 months of age and we found him curled up asleep on the front doormat the next morning.

Anyway, was just wondering how you relate to your ferrets and are they vicious?

Cheers,

Tracy.

I feed my three ferrets on raw meat, in my case rabbit, but any raw meat will do, chicken, mince etc etc, mine dont bite, i beleive raw feeding helps stop biteing, my dogs/ferrets are firstly pets the dogs all live in the house and are pampered like babys but i work them as i do the ferrets, they apart from my family are the most important things in my life, my whole world revolves around them :):o

"Forza Dons"

pedigree plays a big part (poodles i believe bit more people than all other dogs but this may have changed in later years as they are unfashionable nowadays) and training and handling ,and of course there's biting and nipping which are two entirely different things in feretts :D

if they come from a good natured stock then you probably get good natured ferrets but the important bit is handling from an early age.

nipping is a ferret warning you ,biting is usually down to the bone and not so pleasent.

Edited by chesters1

For the record, I don't hunt with dogs and never have but I don't have a problem with those who do.

What I do have a problem with is the rank hypocrisy of those who say what I do must be acceptable because I do it, but what anyone else wants to do should be banned, because I don't like it.

This is a field sports forum whether you like it or not and I have been a lifelong supporter and follower of field sports of all sorts, including fishing, both for the pot and catch and release.

I enjoy it and gain pleasure from it. It is why I do it

Ah, but Sportsman, you don't understand that Rabbit is more "evolved" than you, me, or even Newt :rolleyes:

Whereas we are atavistic, near-Neanderthal, fish-eating throwbacks, Rabbit has "moved on", and as he told us in a recent thread, is prone to eating tinned luncheon meat at the waterside (thats mechanically recovered meat with all the unpleasant connotations implied by factory floor sweepings). :yucky:

So whilst we three are piscivores/omnivores, Rabbit's diet (as reported by him) is akin to someone who has "moved on" to become a scavenger. <_<

He also tells us that he used to be a herbivore

Rabbit, ( from another thread)

This American company have parted many folk with their money under false pretences that herbs can cure all not least weight loss. truth is its a huge con trick . I believed in their propaganda, and gave my time and some money, even gave up my job to work the 'business'. They make huge profits from gullible people who actually believe their diets work they don't,....

....... the Americans are so overwight and gullible I have no sympathy whatsoever with them.

but has obviously "moved on" from being gullible (thats what being "evolved" must mean, Newt)

...and as for the diet of real rabbits, well, I don't want to go there :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits#Diet_and_eating_habits

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

So how old do you have to be before you start to suffer the onset of maturity. Its just that |I think I had better get the freezer filled up before it happens. :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/