Pike fishing

kestrel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more interesting and involving for it's complexity I think. But it's not really that complex. The beauty of lure fishing for me is the fact that you can travel light and move up the river (or whatever) trying all the places you think pike might be lurking to ambush their prey.

I'm not too sure why it's expensive as as you do not keep having to renew bait.... unless it's due to lost lures/spinners. I find that a kayak trip at the end of the summer helps to alleviate losses (I recently recovered almost £30 worth of lures and leaders stuck on bushes and trees and stuff as a result this years fishing).

MC

It's not expensive because I'm loosing lures as I'm using 60lb braid and haven't lost many...it's expensive because I can't go in a tackle shop now without walking out of the door with more lures!

Agree with you on the rain Brian...I also reckon that's what needed to get the pike active again...I think at the moment they are all lying up under the weed etc. Seems the only way to get them out is to annoy them enough with surface poppers !

lure fishing is by far the most expensive way to fish in the shortterm as to but reasonable gear just rod reel braid will set you back roughly the same as buying a two rod bait set up, then come the lures what is the average you spend on one?

my average was around the £8 mark now ive got something like 150ish lures (no idea how many really) not counting small spinners

How much bait kit could you buy with that amount?

Even better, a bag of sprats costs about a quid. Lose as many of those as you like! I don't really enjoy lure fishing, but wobbling a nice silvery dead along the margins is just the thing for those cold, clear days.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Never tried wobbling deads...I never seem to be able to get the right size/good enough sprats for the job.

Looks like the high pressure is breaking down next week with some rain on the way....conditions looking better for the traditional October start

I start piking in october, but this is very much based on the weather, if we have a repeat of last year then I wont be piking at all this season (again!). I really hope for a cold one this time because its costing me my favorite fishing and Im missing out on my favorite species, so cmon mother nature, give us a proper Ice age.

Agree

This year has played havoc with nature and fishing....very warm summer like April followed by rain of biblical proportions.

Just need a 'proper' winter which means cold

Still, f-all we can do about it so all we can do is hope....I'm still going to be piking this winter come rain or shine.

Last winter I had 'river fever' even though they were in a right state, and ignored the lakes. If we get another mild and wet winter this year, I'm going to fish the gravel pits more, especially for pike. Most of the pits around here are quite 'carpy' so tend to empty a lot in the winter.

A nice fat gravel pit 20lber... yes, that would do :rolleyes:

It depends entirely on the weather. Maybe the perch fishing will be so good this year I'll forget all about the pike...

In fact, thinking about it, if we do get a proper cold, crisp winter I'll probably be doing more chubbing than piking. But I do want to get some decent piking in this year somehow.

Choices, choices!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Never tried wobbling deads...I never seem to be able to get the right size/good enough sprats for the job.

Looks like the high pressure is breaking down next week with some rain on the way....conditions looking better for the traditional October start

dont bother eith sprats they are far to soft you end up losing them and leaving free meals everywhere, try decent smelt or mackeral

ps if you play about removing the spine then tidy the flanks up using light mono to hold the 2 sides together you get a far more natural movement from the bait