Advice Please

Alan D

I`ve got an awkward situation on another more local forum to me where another member has affectively told me I shouldn`t fish at the place I`m plannning on fishing a week on Monday as it contains some large carp and seeing as I have no experience of catching/landing/unhooking or handling them that even if I`m not looking to catch any of these that I should still give it a miss

how else will you learn ? sounds like you already know how to do most of what you said you cant.

i dont see any handling difference from say a small roach to a big carp they just weigh a hell of a lot more, set your drag suitable for big carp sooner rather than later.

theres only 2 things that could go wrong (providing drag is set properly to avoid snap offs)

1. carp spits the hook and gets away safely

2. you drop it due to its weight. in which case hold over a unhooking mat and keep low to the ground for photographs or dont lift at all do all your unhooking in the landing net

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how else will you learn ? sounds like you already know how to do most of what you said you cant.

i dont see any handling difference from say a small roach to a big carp they just weigh a hell of a lot more, set your drag suitable for big carp sooner rather than later.

theres only 2 things that could go wrong (providing drag is set properly to avoid snap offs)

1. carp spits the hook and gets away safely

2. you drop it due to its weight. in which case hold over a unhooking mat and keep low to the ground for photographs or dont lift at all do all your unhooking in the landing net

Cheers Andy, I definitely wont be breaking the cardinal sin of standing up and holding a big fish (IF I do catch one), instead I`ll be kneeling down and keeping it just an inch or two of the ground.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Big fish are easier to deal with IMO. They're usually beaten by the fight and gravity, so they tend to lie at peace while you get on with unhooking them etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how straightforward it is.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Big fish are easier to deal with IMO. They're usually beaten by the fight and gravity, so they tend to lie at peace while you get on with unhooking them etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how straightforward it is.

Though the shock of catching something decent might mean the legs go to jelly for a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I`m back from my day at Stanwick Lakes and had what we could call a very interesting day. Got there just after 7:30am and it was blowing a bloody gale. Swan lake where I`d planned to fish was at one end of the complex and was extremely exposed and choppy. As I walked around I noticed Mallard Lake (very similar to Swan as far as the rang and size of fish goes) seemed to be a bit calmer in a few areas but I found Coot lake which was a tiny lake in comparison to the rest and it looked gorgeous, lots of reeds and lilies plus I could see bubbles coming up all over the place. I setup and had my method feeder out containing dynamite halibut groundbait, hemp, sweetcorn and some chopped curried mussels. I had a tutti fruity boilie on the hair and within 10 minutes had a 2lb mirror which was a very good sign. However, after that it went quiet for the next 90 minutes so I moved round to the other end of the lake and setup there. within 15 minutes I had a nice 3.5lb common carp then my best fish of 4lb, which was another mirror. Sadly my day went badly pearshaped after this. I had a small tangle in the end of the rod and on walking to the tip of the rod I slipped on a very muddy area behind the peg and went over backwards scratching my arm to buggery on the bramble branches behind and ever worse I landed awkwardly on my left ankle. The pain was staggering. I could barely catch my breath. I had to sit down for 10 minutes to recover then decided that although it was much earlier than I`d intended to finish that I`d done some serious damage to my ankle and decided to pack up very carefully and hobble back to the car with all my gear which now weighed twice as much. I went to the doctors later that afternoon and was advised to go to the hospital for an x-ray. 4 hours after getting to Northampton General Hospital and checking in at the A&E department I was finally seen by someone to be told no fracture but major tissue damage around the ankle. I`m now strapped up, off work for the week and hopping around as I can`t put any weight on it!

Despite this I had a great time at Stanwick, I will definitely be going back again, dont know when now and think the knackered ankle was worth the pleasure of catching 3 nice carp, the best haul I`ve ever had in one session which shows how little I`ve achieved so far.

Next time I`ll beat my pb of 5lb!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Alan, a shame about the ankle.

But I'll refer you to the comment you made in your previous post. Almost prophetic isn't it? :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What Aan! No tales of being hopelessly smashed by unseen giants? not left yards of line and scores of hooks in carp you were not a great enough angler to land? not a single one bounced around the bank durng your feeble amateurish attempts to hande it? You must just have been lucky :rolleyes::D

Sorry to hear about the ankle hope it doesnt stop you having another great day soon.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Alan, a shame about the ankle.

But I'll refer you to the comment you made in your previous post. Almost prophetic isn't it? :D

John.

I think its fair to say I`m cursed and should have expected it :)

What Aan! No tales of being hopelessly smashed by unseen giants? not left yards of line and scores of hooks in carp you were not a great enough angler to land? not a single one bounced around the bank durng your feeble amateurish attempts to hande it? You must just have been lucky :rolleyes::D

Sorry to hear about the ankle hope it doesnt stop you having another great day soon.

LOL, I played them and handled them with the care of a nuclear physicist handling plutonium then gently eased them back into the water with a whispered goodbye. I`ll be back soon I hope to step up to some bigger ones and hopefully not maim myself in the process! :)

Agree with that, smaller fish can be a lot more lively on the bank