river Fishing?

Errrm

Yup - I nearly always take waders when I'm trotting. To have the really best control of the float the rod tip needs to be in line with the path of the trot (otherwise you can tend to drag it off line when you mend the line). Waders allow me to get into the best position!

C.

Just out of intrest what type of height waders do you use i.e. waist, thigh? I went to a large tackle shop today and ended up buying a pair of thigh waders as I got through my membership today for a new club so I can fish the dove again!

Errrm

Just out of intrest what type of height waders do you use i.e. waist, thigh? I went to a large tackle shop today and ended up buying a pair of thigh waders as I got through my membership today for a new club so I can fish the dove again!

Errrm

I only ever use thigh waders for freshwater fishing, there is no point standing in water that is too deep anyway. The only time I use my chesties in freshwater is I when I want to wade out across shallows and drop a livebait into a channel at about 100 yards to prevent casting damage.

The sea is another matter, two foot waves and thigh waders means wet knackers!

If you don't actually wade then you can always do what John Wilson does and cut down thigh waders so you just have the part you kneel on. Cheap PVC thigh waders aren't much dearer than wellies.

I use what ever I can get away with - mainly thigh waders unless I know the water will be too deep for them (like where I'll be going this Sat on the Kennet!). Then the chesties come out I have a pair of breathable Scierra Chesties - not cheap but very good!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I used to do almost all of my summer-time fishing wading. I get quite frustrated these days not being able to get in the water. There are several different types of waders, and widely varying prices. A lot of my game fishing friends use the type with the seperate boots.

I would go for the best you can afford, preferably chest. Nothing worse than finding you have a boot full of water, or the dangly bits getting wet when you go that little bit too far, or having to stand on your toe tips to avoid it. Cant do that either these days.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Just a quick point on your own safety (just in case!).

Unless you know the bottom well, may be advisable to use a long bank stick as a 'wading stick' until you get to know the contours and depths etc. I made the mistake of stepping onto what I thought was a rocky bottom once (the water was only about 6 inches deep and clear and covered in small stones) and was up to my waist in silt and I am lucky to be hear to tell the tale. If ever I consider going in the water now (and I am not totally familiar with it) I have a firm prod around with a heavy bank stick to avoid the same happening again!

Hope you have a cracking time on the Dove!

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Just a quick point on your own safety (just in case!).

Unless you know the bottom well, may be advisable to use a long bank stick as a 'wading stick' until you get to know the contours and depths etc. I made the mistake of stepping onto what I thought was a rocky bottom once (the water was only about 6 inches deep and clear and covered in small stones) and was up to my waist in silt and I am lucky to be hear to tell the tale. If ever I consider going in the water now (and I am not totally familiar with it) I have a firm prod around with a heavy bank stick to avoid the same happening again!

Hope you have a cracking time on the Dove!

Thanks for the advice, luckly you can see the bottom on the section of the dove I fished and it is all gravel. I managed 4 grayling to about 2lbs and dace, chub and about a million minows. I was using maggots so the minows were hard to avoid. I think I'm possibly going to have to think about pellets to avoid them.