My review of the Ocean Kayak Trident

Mark Crame

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark.

Cant remember when I last read such a detailed and interesting review.

The detail and sequence of the pictures is teriffic.

As all ready said an honest account of your first impressions.

I for one appreciate the time and effort you put into it, thankyou! :thumbs:

Looking forward to the following reports as you progress.

A question for you Mark......how comfortable is she when sitting side saddle ?

Also would you be kind enough to get a shot of her upside down showing her bottom :wub::D .

Well done mate......great job.

Bill. :thumbs::)

Sterling review Mark, thanks for posting :thumbs: It's refreshing to hear an honest opinion rather than the normal 'my yaks perfect' type. Like everything, kayak design is about compromises and it sounds like OK have an excellent balance in the Trident.

I have a Ride135 which weighs a ton, is quite slow and always has water in the footwell.. but the comfort, stability and layout suits me fine. Hopefully I'll get a chance to paddle Starvin's Trident in a couple weeks.

Cheers

JRT

One by one.

I rejoined the cords by heating them and melting the nylon then forcing them together. I wouldn't trust them as a climbing rope but they take enough force to be fien for the job. Just a pity about the black soot marks...

My anchor trolley set up is to follow, but briefly a loop with the join being O-Ring, Carabiner, O-Ring. Pulley at each end attached into blocks by shock cord and 2 O Rings on shackles through blocks to keep the 'rear' part below cockpit level. It works great on dry land...

Ocean Kayak are very welcome to use the review and photos however they wish. prefereably not in 4 inch squares looped on a bit of string!

I will try side saddle this weekend, haven't as yet, and will try to get decent underside photo's. The trouble is getting them to show it correctly - it's 15ft and using a wide-angle lens distorts the perspective so i need height for an above shot. Front to back and back to front ae probably not much use. But I will try.

If anyone else has a question or photo request please feel free to ask and I'll do my best.

Mark.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

She sits nice when side saddle Bill, not to floppy on a chop. Although there is so much room to wiggle the rear end that it's not necessary to sit side on for long periods. I am 17 stone and I managed to get a few hours kip on it and I can sit in my favoured position which is cross leged (unusual but I like it) not always possible but a big bonus for me.

If there is one thing I would change it would be to lower the seat half inch.

I will be fitting a rudder on mine as I found it does need it for distance work or for close quarter lure bashing.

Nice review Mark.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Huge amount of work there and a great review turned around at lightening pace. I am sure that it will be a real boon to the many who are either looking to buy for the first time or make a change and I look forward to the final installment and the many fishing reports that will follow. Well done!

On a lighter note; do you think that you could change the colour in Photoshop to a light turquoisy blue and flog your report to The Admiral?....... or has he changed his hat again..... :rolleyes:

Keep em coming, your reports are always a good read

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Brilliant review Mark and I look forward to hearing the next instalments.

may I just say that when I first paddled the Trident,It didn't impress me half as much as it did after a week paddling it.At the end of the week(probably around 40 miles) you would have needed a crowbar to get me out of it(and GB) :rolleyes: Hope yours grows on you like mine has.Can't wait to get the FF/GPS in and the Scottys ready for the codding season :thumbs:

Must say from my point of view that it is the right tool for what I do :thumbs:

BTW great job on the SM photo as you can all see he fits in the rod pod :rolleyes:

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph