Sleeping in the car

bingo

Does anyone do this? I've often thought about but never got round to it. There's some nice waters (no night fishing) a few hours drive away that I fancy fishing more often.

Any legal issues?

I guess the hygenic issues are something to think about too!

Or I could just stay in a B & B but things start getting a bit more expensive then.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been there, done that. You'd be astonished how cold a car can get in winter.

If you're going to do it, make sure you have a very good sleeping bag.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I used to do it years ago (before my bivvy days) when i was a bit younger . I found it incredibly uncomortable, and more often than not quite painfull in the morning having spent the night cramped up.

I recall waking up so tired and **** off, that sometimes i would just drive home rather than go fishing.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Depends on size of car, leg room, reclining seats etc, done it a few times and slept well.

But used to do it more often during the day in summer.

Get to the water before first light, fish until the 'day trippers' turned up,(about 9 to 9-30) retire to car, have something to eat, kip until they left, (about 6pm), then fish until just after dark.

We'd laugh when they said how crap it was fishing, and that we shouldn't bother going down to the river.

We'd just drop into the swims that they'd baited for us, and the barbel were queueing up!

Happy days. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I sleep in the car a lot. I drive a Mondeo estate, which has enough room for a lilo and all the required legroom (I'm 5'9 1/2", or was, until my leg broke, now I'm 5'8 1/2" on one side!). The cooking stuff is stored in the front seat when not needed, and rods are broken down and laid up next to the bed. I use a Wychwood 3 seasons bag, which I find OK, even in the snow. The car radio switches off automatically after an hour, so I put on the world service and nod off listening to that.

I fish a lot of rivers where there's a no nights rule, so getting used to sleeping in the car is a boon.

Be aware though, that if you have a beer and sleep in the car, you can be "done". So make sure you're in a private car park.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Im 6'2" 15 stone and drive a peugeot 206 and a mazda mx5 :lol: i dont fancy trying to sleep in either of those! i'm hoping to get an audi a4 estate soonish, i might consider sleeping in that? id need to know the area though, could be dodgy in some places...

Connor.

I've always slept in the back of my car when I stay down the Bristol Avon. Now I have the camper van I will take that :thumbs:

There are toilets in the car park and I used to take some baby wipes to 'freshen up' with and tooth brush etc. Nothing wrong with it at all, go for it. If I worried about what might happen, I would never go fishing on my own.

You only have one life, live it! ;)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Slept in my Mini Metro a couple of times (not recommended when 6'-2" and 19st+) Have more sense these days and get B&B.

Also slept in the back of a Transit van for 3 nights with a few other bodies in the car park by the river at Bewdley, that was quite luxurious compared to the Metro. Problem was we were rudely awakened by the police at 3-00am

I have a friend who retired last year and spends a good 75% of his time sleeping in his car now he's not working, even in the depths of winter. Strangely people no longer accept a lift from him now.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone