Winter Fishing

cannonfodder

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CF I was thinking about this too so would be interested in the answers plus would you be interested in meeting up for a fishing session as with everything safety in numbers !! (especially winter time)

sounds good adam, as we have now reached the end of the easy summer fishing i wont bother much until November when the whiting hit us. but i will be out building up me arms. hopefully i can get out for a few hours tomorrow.

got to sort out an anchor these next couple of weeks to.

down my way this is the best time of year to be out as you get mix of summer and winter speices

September and October are both quiet months in north Devon, the fishing picks up again beginning of November! However there are tope about if you feel like a challenge!

Walter%20and%20baby%20tope.jpg

Edited by cannonfodder

For fishing down to zero degrees I have comfortably done an overnight session with the following.

Feet:

2 pair x serious wool hiiking socks

legs: 3 Layers

modern wicking long johns

Dry suit teddy suit

Lined hiking trousers or light ski/snowboard trousers

upper body: 4 layers

modern wicking skin layer (long sleeved)

Dry Suit Teddy suit

Polartec 100 light fleece shirt or equivalent

Zipped quality fleece (Berghaus Extreme is ideal (Light))

Head:

Fleece Shimano Yushanka

Thinsulate neck warmer

On top a Crewsaver Dry suit with a separate Gortex breathable jacket with a hood carried in a dry bag. This extra layer in a wind makes a huge difference as the dry suite has almost zero thermal properties. Although it looks a lot these items are all fairly light and not as bulky as you may think. They wick moisture away from the body and keep their thermal properties when wet. Important as you still sweat a bit getting out there. The layer principle is key to staying warm. Two light pairs of socks are better that 1 thick pair; 2 thick pairs are even better.

However, the ugly part are the thermal fishing wellies, as used on the shore, they go over the dry suit feet. I have never had cold feet even with a frost forming on the yak.

I have not found any practical gloves and find that keeping my hands in between my PFD and body keeps them warm.

Winter fishing gear should be treated very seriously and spend some money on quality gear. Hyperthermia is a very real risk made even more deadly by the environment we fish in. If I am paddling solo, in addition to the usual safety gear I carry one of those turbo lighters, a stove; soup, water, and sleeping bag with Bivi bag. This is normally only for remote winter night fishing trips in the Purbecks etc. This way I can hit the beach and spend the night if it all goes pear shaped. I have done this twice by choice, never underestimate the moral boosting effect of a fire :-)

For what its worth

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

sounds good adam, as we have now reached the end of the easy summer fishing i wont bother much until November when the whiting hit us. but i will be out building up me arms. hopefully i can get out for a few hours tomorrow.

Now should be the best time for bigger bass (not that Ive ever caught one but gonna give it a good try now I have a kayak) around woolacombe bay/grunter beach has to be worth a look.

Also meant to say that I thought about an anchor but worries me a little using one off Ilfracombe but do like idea of one of these as there's enought buoys of North Devon

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Kayak_Article_7.html

The buoy leashes are superb and safer , but we have now superceeded when anchoring with a quick release system. Do another search and its on the same site , think it was posted by specimen.

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13