chod/d-rig

in-line

hi all

once again i am confused :wallbash:

im going out on saturday just for the day and was going to try the chod rig again.

ive used it before but with no result

anyway i know there is alot of debrie on the bottem of this lake so i have decided to try pop-ups with small pva bags,

one on a normal pop-up rig(shrink tubing,mugga hook(good hook pattern?)) and one on the chod.

my question is when attaching the bolie to the ring do you just use the bait floss and tie a couple of over hand knots or is there a special knot or way of doing it?

and what type of bolies would you recommend for fishing on these two rigs

i currently have a tub of spicy shrimp and prawn(white ones), but have caught nothing on them :(

i was going to buy some more but couldnt decide on whether to get the flouro pop-ups or try the fresh fish ones from dynamite

i hear both of them are quite good

any thoughts would be appriciated

cheers

in-line

hi all

im going out on saturday just for the day and was going to try the chod rig again.

anyway i know there is alot of debrie on the bottem of this lake so i have decided to try pop-ups with small pva bags,

one on a normal pop-up rig(shrink tubing,mugga hook(good hook pattern?)) and one on the chod.

my question is when attaching the bolie to the ring do you just use the bait floss and tie a couple of over hand knots or is there a special knot or way of doing it?

i currently have a tub of spicy shrimp and prawn(white ones), but have caught nothing on them :(

i was going to buy some more but couldnt decide on whether to get the flouro pop-ups or try the fresh fish ones from dynamite

i hear both of them are quite good any thoughts would be appriciated

cheers

in-line

First of all I wouldn't reccommend using PVA bags with chods and pop ups. The reason being that when a carp feeds on the contents of the bag its lips are tight to the lake bed but your pop up will probably be 1-2in off the bottom which means that you will most likely foul hook the carp out side of the mouth, if at all.

As for tying pop ups to a D-ring, you can tie a couple of granny knots or you could use a grinner knot(see here) which is what I use as it tightens around the popup more securely . I also go around the boilie with a pair of scissors and score a line for the floss to sit in. I need to be 100% sure that my bait is still on my rig after a hefty cast and I have found this to be the best for me. I would only leave this out for 12 hous max as the popup will slowly take on water and will lose it's effectiveness as I have broken the outer skin. I have had some success on dynamite squid and uctopus but not on all waters so you will have to experiment to see what works on your lake.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

hi all

i hear both of them are quite good

any thoughts would be appriciated

cheers

in-line

hello

when putting a pop -up to a d-ring why not use a bait band, dont put the band around it but through it, as you would on a hair rig, just attach the band over the ring and with baiting kneedle pull straight through pop-up (hope you understand)

WHEN IM GOOD THEY NEVER REMEMBER

WHEN IM BAD THEY NEVER FORGET.

First of all I wouldn't reccommend using PVA bags with chods and pop ups. The reason being that when a carp feeds on the contents of the bag its lips are tight to the lake bed but your pop up will probably be 1-2in off the bottom which means that you will most likely foul hook the carp out side of the mouth, if at all.

I think you'll find that's just one way of carp feeding and varies from lake to lake, and even fish to fish. Some carp feed mouth on / in the bottom or at some times, others don't. Also remember carp are by definition botton feeders and fishing a bag or not makes no difference to that. One could argue fishing a fairly heavy particle and pop-up over the top should give similar problems with foul hooking / outside of the mouth, but in reality it's an extremely rare ocurrence (in my experience).

Rob.

{2008 Editor's Note: to view Chod Rigs for sale, please click here}