RUDD COMPATABILITY

leanne2612

HI THERE,

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ADVISE ME ON THE FOLLOWING -

I HAVE BEEN OFFERED SOME RUDD WHICH ARE CURRENTLY IN AN OUTDOOR POND. WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO KEEP THEM IN A LARGE INDOOR FISH TANK AND WOULD THEY BE COMPATIABLE WITH GOLDFISH.

IF ANYONE WOULD LET ME KNOW ASAP THAT WOULD BE GREAT - THANKYOU IN ADVANCE

CHEERS

LEANNE

Technically speaking goldfish are tropical fish as they originate form a warm area of China. Hence the reason that initially they were always kept indoors in bowls or unheated aquariums. But over the years they were introduced to garden ponds and have gradually adapted to our colder climate. Rudd on the other hand are a straightforward native cold water fish.

I do not think that it is a matter of compatibility of the two species but one of the Rudd which are perfectly happy in an outdoor pond adapting to the limited space and the increased heat and other enforced environmental changes in an indoor aquarium. Personally I would not do it. I think that the Rudd would be far better off moved to another garden pond.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

no reason that rudd/golfish combo wil not work tho when stocking in aquarium ensure that the fish are not too crowded s refer to information relating to total fish inches/wieght to gallonage of tank and unless huge you may need a filter or to change water often and unless stocking is very low you should have airation