Hooking Up To A Buoy

SpeciMan

Hi all,

As some of the originals here know,my other interest is falconry.

Why is that relevant here?well in falconry you learn a simple one handed knot called a falconers knot.It can easily be tied/released quickly with one hand(the other hand has a hawk/falcon on it)and possibly of use in this bouy situation.If in trouble a simple tug undoes the knot and the line simply slips back through the bouy,the other end is obviously attached to your yak.

Have a look at some falconry sites ,some one with more time than me is bound to find an illustration and it really is easier than it looks at first,

cheers Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

As some of the originals here know,my other interest is falconry.

Why is that relevant here?well in falconry you learn a simple one handed knot called a falconers knot.It can easily be tied/released quickly with one hand(the other hand has a hawk/falcon on it)and possibly of use in this bouy situation.If in trouble a simple tug undoes the knot and the line simply slips back through the bouy,the other end is obviously attached to your yak.

Have a look at some falconry sites ,some one with more time than me is bound to find an illustration and it really is easier than it looks at first,

cheers Jon.

I like that, occurs to me that no carbineers are needed, just a ring to hook on the trolley and the other end of the rope round the buoy back through the trolley and tied off as you suggest or through a clam cleat. Got one of those B&Q plastic rope tidies which could double as the ring and rope storage, jobs a good-un. :thumbs:

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Ah , but the weight of the metalwork stops the loop riding up over the buoy. <_<

I've done without so far :huh: probably because big buoys (oh-err) or weak tide

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

I've done without so far :huh: probably because big buoys (oh-err) or weak tide

Agree - detachment never happens. I have a crabs at each end of my bungy, one clipped to the other and the other clipped to the trolley crab, so both are above the water line. I've never come loose from even the smallest buoy, not even at slack water where, conceivably, you might drift backward and the loop come off the buoy, but then it wouldn't be a problem anyway. Even the weakest flow keeps the bungy loop taught and virtually impossible to slip over the buoy. :thumbs:

What yak have you got? Johnsons might be able to supply them (via your local dealer) but they are dead easy to fabricate, and not too expensive. Just go to a local chandlers for the bits.

I have the malibu two xl and even though I live in a town with large harbour the local chandlers never seem open and what ive seen through window are useless and extremely expensive :(

Aha. right. Okay. Can't argue with that.

I foresee a problem - there is no rigging on the side of your yak. This is going to make things difficult. First thing that you will need to do is attach some kind of rigging points (pad eyes for example) and this involves the drill. What you will need are pad eyes, well nuts and a big pair of balls - because you're going to have to guess where to place them safely as the hull shape is a bitch for that. Then you'll need the bungee, cord, pulley blocks and O rings / carabiner.

I'd suggest first of all having a good hard think about it, then doing a mock up with some tape, then posting pics on here to see if you have it right or if anyone can offer advice and then getting the bits to make it with.

that's how I did it for the Trident:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...st&p=776798

and that's where I got the bits from:

E-mail: Info@JeckellsChandlers.co.uk

Address: 128 Bridge Road, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 9JT.

Telephone: 01502 565007 Fax 01502 565606

I'm sure if you tell them the bits you need they'll do it mail order. If not, let me know.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.