Pike rods

Deedbait

Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a new deadbait rod (or two, you know how it is guys), however before delving in to the never ending world of reviews, I thought I would enquire if you had any recommendations to consider or even ones that don't live up to the hype!

Thanks

Wychwood all the way...for the money their stuff is really good

Cheapest place I found was here www.cheshirefishing.co.uk

I've got the rogue long range (3.5tc) and Riot and they're both great rods....just wish they did slightly lighter test curve versions (2.5) for river fishing.

If money is no object then Dave Lumb rods are the business www.dlst.co.uk

Edited by Neil G

Give us a clue as to where you want to fish with them and are they for near side work or for chucking out at distance as it will help to narrow your search

I have a few of Dave Lumbs rods and can vouch for them, I also own and use wychwood rods, E T rods , Fox rods and Normark ones and they all work and behave differently so its often a particular rod for a particular purpose

Majority of the work will be done on the west coast lochs (scotland) and the lake district area.

Cost wise I don't belive in false economy, therefore if the gear is worth the money then its money well spent. Not that money is no object cos it certainly is, however past errors have lead to lessons learned

Peter, I do a lot of plugging anyway for various species and yes it can be an a great method on its day, however it's the bait rods I need to replace.

Thanks in advance for your info

For bank fish on the lochs have you considered the fox pike xs rods in 3lb tc? I have got a pair of these for my pit fishing and the action is superb, coupled with great finish and competitive pricing - well worth the money. For boat work there are many rods that would fit the bill, I think fox have produced a rod in 11ft 3lb test for boat fishing.

I'd have a good look at Dave Lumbs baitblasters in 3.5 lb test as they're ideal for the work that you intend to do http://www.dlst.co.uk theres a few more on there that catch the eye as well

For the swims you are fishing (and I do know which ones you're in) a big chuck is essential and Daves rods will do that for you

I use the 3.5s and they're a useful tool which will bend when you've a big fish on and under the tip

The Fox XS rods are great and I have one of the 2.5lb rods and a mate has a 3lb set up but even when using his Foxs I cant get the distance that I can with the baitblasters which cost about £110 each

A cheaper alternative is the ET pitmaster in 3.5lb, not as heavy or as robust as the baitblasters but a nice rod never the less, still capable of chucking a three ounce lead and bait a very long way and they do that on a very regular basis, you can get the pitmasters for about £65 and at that money they're a good buy but be aware the fittings (rings and handle and reel seat) are'nt the best and do let the rod down a little

All the above are what might be called progressive blanks and will bend as you cast them throughout the blank and tend to suit most peoples casting styles but the Normark Long Range Piker (endorsed by Gord Burton) is a fantastic bit of kit but has to be bought second hand as they're not currently available is a fast tip action and does exactly what it says on the tin and is my first choice rod when real distance is required and only marginally shades the bautblasters. Keep an eye on the Fladen range of pike rods as I have been told from a good source that Fladen are due to purchase their new blanks from a Chinese supplier that used to make the blanks for Normark

Edited by Elton