Whisky/Whiskey

Ken L

a local i frequented landlord was proud of his single malt collection ,after he died his mrs didnt want to carry on by herself so had a "private" night as her last so me and a mate made our own blend in a 1pt glass and happily got lost on the way home and woke in a ditch (not really that unusual) he must have been spinning.

unfortunately this over indulgence in the past of strange brews and awful cocktails has turned him into an alchie and i get **** on a pint of mild :(

sambuca and some pine needle tasting stuff seemed to be in everything we drunk including beer ,we drank anything if it was free and the dregs tray a final drink before leaving ,happy days :crazy:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a local i frequented landlord was proud of his single malt collection ,after he died his mrs didnt want to carry on by herself so had a "private" night as her last so me and a mate made our own blend in a 1pt glass and happily got lost on the way home and woke in a ditch (not really that unusual) he must have been spinning.

unfortunately this over indulgence in the past of strange brews and awful cocktails has turned him into an alchie and i get **** on a pint of mild :(

sambuca and some pine needle tasting stuff seemed to be in everything we drunk including beer ,we drank anything if it was free and the dregs tray a final drink before leaving ,happy days :crazy:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Of late, I've taken to indulging in a late night short.

Nothing OTT but enough that buying the really good stuff gets expensive.

On comming down market, I was plesantly suprised.

Tescos own brand "Special Reserve" comes in at less than a tenner a bottle and is considerably better than Bells, Grouse et al.

Asda's own was similarly priced but not as good.

Next up was the own brand Black label whisky from Asda. Result ! A couple of quid dearer than Tesco's own and the best yet, even if it's only available in 75cl bottles.

Continuing the experiement, I tried the Lidl own brand called Glen Orchy or sumsuch. Don't even think about it ! Just having it in the house reduced my alcohol consumption by 60% !

The latest one to get tested is a new own brand blended jobbie from Tesco's that boasts of being aged for 12 years. I paid £13 for 1L and to date, it's the cream of the crop.

Along the way, I also tried Asda's own brand of Bourbon which is pretty good as well for a tenner a bottle. It might even be as good as the stuff they used to sell about 5 years ago until the plant making it in the US burned to the ground.

I've still not found a supermarket whisky that is light and aromatic like a good single malt but ut for blended whisky, they're well up on the game and as good or better than any of the major brands.

Does anyone else like a tipple and if so, what's your recomendation at less than £15 a bottle ?

pash! ye will no get a gid whisky under £30 Blended or a gid single malt under £50 a bottle

peronaly i prefer rum but i do have some Aberfeldy 26 year old(malt) , and half a bottle of Carsebridge 42 year old(grain) drunk the other half celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary. :drunk::thumbs:

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I worked in the Whisky industry for many years and am not overly fond of blended whiskey. I have always been a dedicated single malt man.

I was sent to do the surveying on a new project I was to manage at "Bushmills" in Northern Ireland and was, as usual, furnished with a glass of the product. It was so much smoother than the blends from my native land I'm sorry to admit.

The reason for this, if your into the technicalities, is that the Irish whiskey is triple distilled as oppposed to Scotch which is usually only double distilled. The third distillation removes more of the Fusel Oils (hope I've spelt that right), which give the harshness at the back of the throat.

I highly recommend a bottle of 15 year old bushmills single malt for a taste of heaven.

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

Theres an absolute cracker of a prog on STV at the moment,...Inside Scotland....this weeks all about the whisky industry....I just found out, that Glenfiddoch is the most popular malt in the world, and I just gave away a litre bottle of it on Saturday night !!!!! :(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I just found out, that Glenfiddoch is the most popular malt in the world, and I just gave away a litre bottle of it on Saturday night !!!!!

I assume you meant my particular favourite, Glenfiddich? You GAVE a litre bottle away? Hang your sorry head in shame....! I'm not a great whisky drinker, but it's always my favourite tipple at the end of the night....when you're just relaxing with friends, trying to figure out which way is up...

Janet

Laphroaig for me......Actually I'm a 'Friend of Laphroaig' and so have my own square foot of Islay that I can view on t'internet whenever I feel the need :thumbs:

My fishing buddy's swear by Lagavulin but that's too much for my palate. Iodine and all that!

Edited by Paul_D

Paul

I just found out, that Glenfiddoch is the most popular malt in the world, and I just gave away a litre bottle of it on Saturday night !!!!!

I assume you meant my particular favourite, Glenfiddich? You GAVE a litre bottle away? Hang your sorry head in shame....! I'm not a great whisky drinker, but it's always my favourite tipple at the end of the night....when you're just relaxing with friends, trying to figure out which way is up...

Janet

Hi Janet, Yep, thats the one....wifey and I were visiting friends, and I had been out to the pub earlier, as you do......so wanted to head home fairly early...about 3am...:) so as a wee pressie I left it with the host....there was only a few halfs out of it too....:)

Its nice to be nice !!! :rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Laphroaig for me......Actually I'm a 'Friend of Laphroaig' and so have my own square foot of Islay that I can view on t'internet whenever I feel the need :thumbs:

My fishing buddy's swear by Lagavulin but that's too much for my palate. Iodine and all that!

I can't enjoy Islay or the other 'island' malts by comparison to the 'highland' malts - one gives me a hangover, the gives me a really bad hangover. I'll settle for the hangover!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Bushmills (Blackbush) Jamasons (Crested Ten) Paddys, Powers,Green spot. Mmmmmmmm

Geuss where my lot Hail from ? But to be fair the scott's do a fair copy of proper whisky ;):P

Ever tried the real stuff then FB?

Wikki

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."