Picture of a recent pike

Unimexsol

Unimexsol, I hope that this is a good start to a pike fishing career, but do the pike a favour, look at:

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/landing.html

It does suggest a gardening glove, personally I suggest matcho black marigolds on the hand that goes into the gill area. I have found them more than sufficient to prevent cuts off the gill rakers.

Edited by Peter Waller

Thanks for that Peter. I have tried marigolds before but found them awkward. These gloves fit me, well like a glove actually. They are not "Builders" gloves, although they do look very similar, and are fairly soft with narrow fingers (although as you can see the thumb is a bit oversize). Palm and inside of finger are soft leather. They work, I'm comfortable with them, I'm confident both in them and in my own unhooking abilities, I can't see the problem. I've never damaged a fish by using them. If there is a particular reason that leather gloves aren't suitable then please let me know and I'll find an alternative.

As for handling skills, on evidence offered fair point. As you can see from the quality of the photo though, this wasn't a posed picture it was a snap taken as I'd picked the fish up from the unhooking mat (out of shot) and was about to put it back where it belonged. Personally I'm more worried about returning the fish to the water rather than taking time to pose for 'photos.

Nice pike mate!What was your catching method?............I wouldnt worry too much,aslong as you are comfortable and you feel the fish is handled correctly then enjoy the fish you are cathing!

You could post a picture that looks absuloutly perfect,and someone,somewhere would still critisize

The two main problems Ive encountered with some styles of glove are firstly they can "deaden" the feeling you have and therefore affect your delicacey.Secondly (and most importantly) Ive found that several types of gloves actually can damage the gill rakers by catching on them.Danaged gill rakers (in my experience) account for more dead pike than even the old foe "deep hooking" does.For many years I have advised against their use but recently I got hold of some gloves from the US (Musky Armour) that were very good and avoided these problems.Try looking up the threads on here ref "Chico Gloves" Since trying these I now reccomend them allthough still prefer a bare hand myself.Oh nice fish by the way but please dont be offended when I also say that judging from the picture your handling techniques need a bit of brushing up on.Where abouts are you based?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for that Budgie. I've found that these gloves are sensitive enough and have not had a problem with them catching on the gill rakers. However I'm always trying to improve the experience both for me and for the fish so I will have a look for an alternative glove. As for the fish handling, as I said the picture was taken just as I'd picked the fish up from the unhooking mat so I can see why it looks like the fish is just being held by the head.

I live in North London and fish the Lee. I'm always interested in going fishing with people who can offer me advice and help. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you are in London much of the time, if you happen to be planning on fishing the Lee sometime soon then I'd be more than happy to come along and pick up some tips.